• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970s Penny - Everybody's favorite hate question. . .
1 1

10 posts in this topic

It's on ebay as "buy it now" UC set, just curious if it looks like a small 7 to anybody else.  Date looks level to me but the plastic may be affecting the visual.  Lie to me or tell me the truth, but have fun ranting about something different. . . for today at least. .

image.png.a4af55f0bb526fe75e4e8e770b619235.png

That photo makes it just hard enough to not be able to see anything you need to look at. Can’t tell the angle of the 9 and can’t really determine if the numbers are level. I agree at a glance it looks like a large date. Tail of the 7 looks lower than the 0.

Edited by Lem E

As stated in the Cherrypickers' Guide and elsewhere, the best way to identify a so-called 1970-S "Small Date" cent is to look at "LIBERTY" instead of focusing on the date. The lettering is thinner and weaker on the "Small Date" than on the 1970-S "Large Date" or on 1970 cents from the other two mints.  

I think also the S itself is more raised on the small date and is more "flat" on the large date. I think the cent in question here is a large date. Here is a photo of the small date from NGC's VarietyPlus. To me the S seems more sharply struck than the large date S.

12935-1-1533760121-thumb.jpg

Here is the large date from NGC VarietyPlus

12939-1-1533760304-thumb.jpg