• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Dime the back tree is missing or rubbed off?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Just like the bicentennial quarter you recently asked about, you are looking at a well circulated coin, so the answer to your question is no, nobody can say with definitive certainty that what you see happened when the coin was struck or after it left the mint.   People can guess and offer opinions of what they think happened, but that is all it will be, guesses.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:23 PM, Erin33 said:

Can you tell me if this is a error or is this rubbed off?  or if someone rubbed this off? Thanks

My guess is it looks like circulation wear combined with a minor error of some grease on the die since the base of the tree and lettering in that area is almost completely gone, but there is not similar significant wear on adjacent areas.  But pretty common and not something with added value, particularly with a coin that is not in great shape.

I agree with @EagleRJO. I would say this coin has a minor struck through grease on the reverse but the condition was aggravated by circulation wear. Even if this coin were to get a mint error attribution, in its present condition is not worth the cost of submitting for the $19 grading fee as well as the additional $18 mint error fee. I would keep it in a flip or other suitable storage as a conversation piece.

I do not know about this coin in particular, but generally, there are areas on a coin that will wear faster or unevenly.  While there are sometimes issues with a weak die area, it does not add a value to coin and only helps to identify a particlar die.

This coin is fairly well worn overall.

I am curious where you found the dime as it's pretty worn and scratched up, with roll coins typically being in better shape.  I agree you should look for coins in better condition to examine and evaluate, particularly for more modern coins where finding minor anomalies like this don't add any value at all and are not even worth putting aside as a curiosity find.

I agree that there is nothing interesting or significant about this coin and would like to note that what is depicted on the reverse of the Roosevelt dime is an oak branch, not a whole oak tree.

On 10/31/2023 at 8:17 PM, Sandon said:

I agree that there is nothing interesting or significant about this coin

And this is the case of the VAST majority of coins shown here on this section.