• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stupid question, but please don't beat me up for it ............just trying to learn the very basics of coin grading/values

33 posts in this topic

About a year ago I unknowingly purchased a 1861 $2.5  Liberty Head that had previously had a post on it. It was a nice VF 35 in a 2x2 holder and whoever removed the post had filled the hole with gold and did a nice job . You could not see the coin edge until I removed it from the 2x2 when I got it home. Needless to say the coin had lost its numismatic value and I was able to return it and get another gold coin. Sorry to say you Rooster has the same issue. but yours can still be a nice neckless. By the way the other gold coins are very nice looking, and Sandon has given you some excellent information on your items.

Edited by J P M

Re:  1911 French 20-franc gold rooster...

Only the most common, least valuable coins ought to be used as jewelry accessories, but then there would be little point in displaying them in such manner.  There are two reasons why the coin depicted had me cringe: firstly, because it was from a series I collect and secondly, collect well enough to know the example chosen was the rarest of the so-called "restrikes" (1907-1914). I do have a question of my own regarding the mount affixed to the top. True, it could be removed, but it would leave "damage" behind indicating its former presence. My question:  Even though any damage would be concealed when encapsulated, would its presence, Mount Removed, disqualify it for certification consideration?  My instinct says, Yes, but I wonder whether some may be interred in the sarcophagi of some of the lesser known or now defunct TPGS. It really is too bad a coin in an attractive condition was chosen but such is life.  The family member who left you these coins had an exquisite taste in gold and a worthy inheritance.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die-polishing (added info; correcting typo).

On 11/20/2023 at 9:26 PM, Henri Charriere said:

My question:  Even though any damage would be concealed when encapsulated, would its presence, Mount Removed, disqualify it for certification consideration?

The answer is no. Only coins not genuine, counterfeit, or otherwise altered surfaces (including plating or painting) get body bagged. The coin as long as it is genuine, would get certified and slabbed with a details grade for Mount Removed, even though you might not be able to see the area where the mount was while it is in the slab.

I obtained a very nice Peace dollar early in my collecting, but failed to look closely at the rim. It was graded and slabbed and returned to me Unc Details - Mount Removed.