• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Penny, just want to know what grade you would give it.
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Your question is problematic because in order to grade a coin on the numerical scale, especially an uncirculated or nearly uncirculated coin, one must study the coin from different angles and magnification levels. Parts of this 1973 cent can't be seen well.  Based on what I can see, I would say that due to the scratch on Lincoln's coat, the slightly weak strike affecting the arches and steps of the Memorial, and apparent friction on Lincoln's beard, the coin would grade no better than MS 64 RD and possibly as low as AU 58. 

Again ..if you would like to have your coins graded you may do so by submitting them to NGC. We cannot "pre grade" any coin for you. You have the option of either mastering coin evaluation and grading or submit your coins blindly which will not be financially beneficial.  If you never learn how to grade a coin you will always be at the mercy of others to do it for you. This hobby or field requires education and restraint. There are many books and other information as well as online classes that will teach you all you need to know about grading. This takes time, education and experience looking at coins. It will not happen overnight. Please take the time to educate and invest in yourself before you invest in coins.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:52 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Again ..if you would like to have your coins graded you may do so by submitting them to NGC. We cannot "pre grade" any coin for you. You have the option of either mastering coin evaluation and grading or submit your coins blindly which will not be financially beneficial.  If you never learn how to grade a coin you will always be at the mercy of others to do it for you. This hobby or field requires education and restraint. There are many books and other information as well as online classes that will teach you all you need to know about grading. This takes time, education and experience looking at coins. It will not happen overnight. Please take the time to educate and invest in yourself before you invest in coins.

What do you mean by "we"? Unless you are a Moderator, you don't speak for me. If you didn't want to answer the OP's question, you should have kept scrolling.

Read the header at the top of this section:  A forum for beginner questions about collecting coins - grading / buying / selling / pricing / rarity / packing / shipping / whatever.

On 10/28/2023 at 2:18 PM, Teddy R said:

What do you mean by "we"? Unless you are a Moderator, you don't speak for me. If you didn't want to answer the OP's question, you should have kept scrolling.

Read the header at the top of this section:  A forum for beginner questions about collecting coins - grading / buying / selling / pricing / rarity / packing / shipping / whatever.

Go ahead and do your amateur coin grading from a photo. You will do yourself a disservice as well as the OP. NO coin can be accurately graded from a photo alone. Especially coins of higher uncirculated grades. These grades depend wholly on surface characteristics and  surface conditions that absolutely cannot be evaluated from a photo.  If you feel comfortable making a specific grade statement on a raw coins condition without holding it in your hand I'd hate to see your coins... On another note the forum is not asking for people to come in and use members as graders it is merely a place to ask general questions about grading. If the sole purpose of this forum becomes pre screen grading of millions of uneducated persons coins the forum will become undesirable and unusable.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 10/28/2023 at 6:38 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

If the sole purpose of this forum becomes pre screen grading of millions of uneducated persons coins the forum will become undesirable and unusable.

It happens every day. Most of us try to help when we can so that new people have a bit of a chance. I agree everyone must be there own advocate in this hobby but talking to numismatics with years of experience is a good place to start.  

I agree in all points in this thread. Newbies who don't know better should come here and get accurate information. Better than watching bogus YoubeeTubee coin videos (once again with the exception of ANA, ANACS, or US Mint or US Treasury videos). The OPs should avail themselves of multiple resources such as obtaining books like the Redbook and ANA Official Grading Standards book and become familiar with these books. Many times when newbies keep asking questions about grade, after multiple threads, they start to get an idea of what they are looking at and many times disappear from the forum. I also believe that asking a question of specific Sheldon scale grade level from a photo of a coin is going to only get the person asking the question a "base" level of grade. Depending on the quality of the photo, and also what can be seen or not seen with the coin in hand, questions trying to pinpoint the 1-70 number of the Sheldon scale from a photo should be taken with a grain of salt. Any more than those of us who buy coins from a photo off of the internet or auction sites, want to have a return policy should once the coin is in our hand, we find something that was not evident in the photo that we can return the coin. It also can be very difficult to determine whether or not a coin was potentially lightly cleaned from just a photo.

All that being said, I encourage the OP to at a minimum to obtain a current Redbook as well as the ANA Grading Standards book (6th edition can be found very cheaply on eBay for about $12).

I would humbly offer my opinion based on the given photos, that the OP's coin is while in relatively good shape and RD in color, I believe it to be a lower end MS (60-63). Great coin for an album!