• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1996 Penny. Is this a DDO on the date? Or machine doubling?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I think that what you're seeing on the "96" of the date is a slight defect in the copper plating of this cent and not any form of doubling, die or otherwise. 

A doubled die coin typically exhibits crisp, clear doubling, with both images at about the same level. This "Redbook" variety 1972 doubled die obverse cent is a good example:

1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.c8a24ca5b3e18406810a8c2269b5b0e4.jpg

1972DDcentrev..thumb.jpg.19dcfff5e42cd5b736866f177492796d.jpg

There is a known variety 1996 DDO Lincoln Memorial cent FS-101. Doubling is evident on WE TRUST, the date, and the adjacent area of Lincoln's coat. I honestly cannot tell from your pics (even the closeup) as they are too blurry. There should be a notch at the top of the 6 that is the most evident to see so if there is no notch, then it is not a DDO or it is just mechanical doubling on your coin. I have included a photo close up of the date from NGC's VarietyPlus page for your reference.

4764068-001d-819661-1581629381.jpg

@Sandon, this is one of those varieties where the doubling is really not very evident and on this variety it is found only in certain areas of the image as it seems it was such a very minor DDO. Even on NGC's VarietyPlus they state only specific areas for the FS-101 of this date. Not sure with it being so minor why it is even recognized but the experts deemed it to be so.

You can barely see it in the 9's and the 1 basically looks normal.

Edited by powermad5000

@powermad5000--Based on the photos, which are not well focused, the OP's coin does not appear to be of the variety you mention. There is just a slightly lighter color around the numerals, which is indicative of the adjacent plating being thinned by the pressure of striking and found on many zinc-coated steel cents of this era.  I don't see any doubling or "notching" as on your photos of the FS-101.

I am in agreeance with you @Sandon. As I said, I couldn't tell 100% for sure due to the photo quality and it being such a minor variety, but I am aware of the plating issues on these cents and I didn't want to just jump the gun and go right to that even though the 6 in the OP's photo looked like a plating issue to me. I wanted to give the OP the power to examine the coin more closely in hand and I think we would have our answer that the notch is not there on the 6. It is not an insanely popular variety and I doubt commands much if any premium.

On 10/24/2023 at 10:57 PM, powermad5000 said:

... with it being so minor why it is even recognized,  but the experts deemed it to be so.

NGC VarietyPlus likely has the DDO listed as it was assigned an "FS" number, and any doubling by this date is more unusual due to single-squeeze die production being employed.

http://doubleddie.com/58222.html