• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sell my coins
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum, we could give you better more focused advice if you had told us what two coins you want to sell.    As you are new here we have no idea if your coins are really worth anything over face or metal content, but you have a few options.  First you can list them here in the Buy-Sell-Trade (marketplace) section of the forum, here is a link to that section.   If you do decide to list your coins there be sure to; provide good cropped in focus photos of both sides of the coin, and post a realistic price.   There is no cost to putting your coins up for sale on in the marketplace, however, throwing out a hope to catch a sucker price with bad photos will only give you a bad reputation and make selling your coins here next to impossible.

Marketplace

Now there are not that many members here on this forum so you are not going to have many eyes see what you are selling here, so another option is to put your coins up for sale on ebay.   More people will see your coins there but there are fees involved in selling on ebay.

Another option is to sell your coins directly to a coin dealer, this option will likely yield you the lowest price but has the benefit of getting the cash the quickest.

And lastly if the coins do have significant numismatic value, you could send them to one of the many auction houses.

On 10/21/2023 at 1:43 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, we could give you better more focused advice if you had told us what two coins you want to sell.    As you are new here we have no idea if your coins are really worth anything over face or metal content, but you have a few options.  First you can list them here in the Buy-Sell-Trade (marketplace) section of the forum, here is a link to that section.   If you do decide to list your coins there be sure to; provide good cropped in focus photos of both sides of the coin, and post a realistic price.   There is no cost to putting your coins up for sale on in the marketplace, however, throwing out a hope to catch a sucker price with bad photos will only give you a bad reputation and make selling your coins here next to impossible.

Marketplace

Now there are not that many members here on this forum so you are not going to have many eyes see what you are selling here, so another option is to put your coins up for sale on ebay.   More people will see your coins there but there are fees involved in selling on ebay.

Another option is to sell your coins directly to a coin dealer, this option will likely yield you the lowest price but has the benefit of getting the cash the quickest.

And lastly if the coins do have significant numismatic value, you could send them to one of the many auction houses.

16979145736362977332758752439920.jpg

16979145926753359687704441314468.jpg

Thanks for the additional information, both coins are currently crossing the auction blocks for under $100 each, roughly $30 to $40 for the dime and $75ish for the quarter.   At those values you would not do well sending to a major auction house like Heritage where the seller fees are high, but Great Collections has a lower fee structure and coins like this can do ok on that auction platform.   As you can see in the screen shots that you provided NGC has a value estimate for the dime of $30, and $65 for the quarter.

If you don't want the hassle of shipping to an auction company or dealing with listing and shipping, I would check with any local coin dealer shops in your area to see if they will offer a price on these, expect a coin shop to offer roughly half of the NGC estimated value.   These coins are very nice coins but they are also very common coins and it might take you some time to find buyers if selling yourself.

Best of luck.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The NGC Price Guide, which I looked at myself before your latest post, currently shows retail list (dealer selling) prices of $30 for the 1951 dime and $65 for the 1946-S quarter. Although you could try to sell the coins on the Marketplace forum or other venues suggested by @Coinbuf, I suggest that you take them to a coin show in your area and take them around to the dealers there, who will usually offer around 50 to 70 percent of the list price, and accept the best offers in this range. You can also take them to local coin shops. 

Other than calling some local coin shops to see if they might be interested in buying them or consigning them to GC it doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort trying to sell them with a limited value.

If it were me, I would sell these coins on eBay. For low priced coins like this the fees will not be as much as a dealer will take off the top. You can charge the buyer for the shipping to max out your profit. I would not list these on there under auction either. I have seen auctions for more common coins such as this have low ball bidding wars which end up selling for less than a dealer would give you for them so I would list them for a buy it now price. Just remember, the prices listed for the price guide values are just that. Guide prices. You won't get that figure when you go to sell them. List them reasonably priced, and it may take a bit, but they will sell. I would expect on there to get about $18 for the dime and about $45 for the quarter.