• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Penny, what grade would you give?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I have the same comment as on your 1951-D cent photos about making the photos clearer and cropping them.  These photos also have too much glare to make out the coin clearly.  Try lighting the coin with a lamp aimed at an angle instead of lighting it from directly overhead.

This 1975 cent appears to be uncirculated and full red, but the photos are too blurry to attempt to give it an adjectival (typical, choice, or gem) or numerical grade. It is difficult to grade coins, especially those at or near uncirculated condition, from any photos, as in-person examination at different angles and different levels of lighting and magnification are necessary to detect and assess "rub", hairlines, abrasions, and other factors that go into the determination of the grade.

You are now a member of NGC. Spend the money and submit your coin. We cannot  "pre grade" your coins for you here. You must learn that for yourself by trial and error just like the rest of us. Sorry. It is a nice coin. Not worth much. If you never learn how or why to grade a coin then you will always be at the mercy of other peoples opinions.

KoyMihn

You joined the message board membership. That does not include the ability to submit coins for grading. That is a completely separate item.

Your 1975 cent would have to be "perfect" - MS70 - or a clear doubled die to be worth the nearly $50 cost of authentication and grading. Any comments otherwise are disingenuous poof and should be ignored.

On 10/17/2023 at 6:02 AM, RWB said:

KoyMihn

Your 1975 cent would have to be "perfect" - MS70 - or a clear doubled die to be worth the nearly $50 cost of authentication and grading. 

You would think that a guy with your credentials would do the tiniest bit of research before you put your foot in your mouth and look foolish.   Even the most basic of research, checking the NGC explorer pop numbers for example, would have told you that there are no 1975 Lincoln cents currently graded higher than MS68.   Putting that into layman's terms that you can understand, there are no MS70's for this date. doh! Here is a list of just the sales at GC for 1975 Lincoln cents that have been graded as MS67 to MS68, every one of these has a value that exceeds the cost of submission even if submitted as a single coin submission.   And each is graded lower than your fantasy MS70.

image.thumb.png.e8309a40c4441d59028e48a9d4d000b5.png

Am I suggesting that the op should submit his coin, no I am not.   The spots on the rev limit the grade to MS65 or perhaps a gift of MS66 at best, and both of those grades would be a loss given the true market values for those grades.

KoyMihn

Any comments otherwise are disingenuous poof and should be ignored.

Per usual, on matters of market values or grading, yours is the only comment that should be ignored.   I have said it before, you should stick to research and writing because you have no clue about the coin market or collecting in this century, things have changed alot since the dawn of the industrial revolution.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/17/2023 at 1:43 PM, Coinbuf said:

there are no MS70's for this date.

Indeed, to my knowledge there are no coins minted and issued for circulation graded "70" by either NGC or PCGS.  I've heard that PCGS once graded a 2003 Lincoln cent "MS 70RD", but the coin subsequently developed spots and was removed from the population report. If anyone wants to look through all of the pages of the NGC Census and the PCGS Population Report page by page for all circulation issues, be my guest.

Edited by Sandon
added "Census"

On 10/17/2023 at 1:43 PM, Coinbuf said:

You would think that a guy with your credentials would do the tiniest bit of research before you put your foot in your mouth and look foolish.   Even the most basic of research, checking the NGC explorer pop numbers for example, would have told you that there are no 1975 Lincoln cents currently graded higher than MS68.   Putting that into layman's terms that you can understand, there are no MS70's for this date. doh! Here is a list of just the sales at GC for 1975 Lincoln cents that have been graded as MS67 to MS68, every one of these has a value that exceeds the cost of submission even if submitted as a single coin submission.   And each is graded lower than your fantasy MS70.

image.thumb.png.e8309a40c4441d59028e48a9d4d000b5.png

Am I suggesting that the op should submit his coin, no I am not.   The spots on the rev limit the grade to MS65 or perhaps a gift of MS66 at best, and both of those grades would be a loss given the true market values for those grades.

Per usual, on matters of market values or grading, yours is the only comment that should be ignored.   I have said it before, you should stick to research and writing because you have no clue about the coin market or collecting in this century, things have changed alot since the dawn of the industrial revolution.

Thanks for the comments. Yep. I wrote too soon about the real value of pocket change. ;)

KoyMihn

You joined the message board membership. That does not include the ability to submit coins for grading. That is a completely separate item.

Your 1975 cent would have to be "perfect" - MS70 - or a clear doubled die to be worth the nearly $50 cost of authentication and grading. Any comments otherwise are disingenuous poof and should be ignored.

This comment should be ignored. The fact you wrote a book mystifys me. You read a few books and then regurgitate some BS. Goodluck. BTW I am a copyright PRO organization  (ASCAP) professional writer. Are you? Lets see  whos your PRO ? Who's your publisher?

On 10/17/2023 at 9:02 AM, RWB said:

... nearly $50 cost of authentication and grading

Actually about $80 including shipping both ways for just the op's coin ($10 + $19 + $28 + ~$20 or so shipping to NGC), not including any error or variety, which is the least expensive submission possible.

Some don't consider shipping costs which often exceeds the basic handling and grading cost (economy or modern tier) for a single coin submittal.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/18/2023 at 4:40 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

This comment should be ignored. The fact you wrote a book mystifys me. You read a few books and then regurgitate some BS. Goodluck. BTW I am a copyright PRO organization  (ASCAP) professional writer. Are you? Lets see  whos your PRO ? Who's your publisher?

The numerous errors in this post do not support your statements here. I myself don't overly stress about stuff that I know most people can't even spot, but I do my best not to make numerous spelling errors. Rule #1 of Writers' Club: if you're going to brag about being one, your writing had best reflect it. This does not, I'm afraid.

@JKKI am not bragging. Text messages are not "writing" they are merely abbreviated informal communication.  I feel no pressure to perform to yours or anyones expectations in "great structure and syntax" The post I challenged was a bunch of mouth diarrhea from someone that is a know it all that knows piddly squat.

Sorry for butting in on the conversation but can't you get uncirculated 1975 sets that have this penny in it? Though if I remember right when I looked at the sets they had toning on them. I was looking for the dollar coin. Is this penny one hard to find in the perfect range? Been working on my nickel book but am now getting into the pennies. One more question. Are the uncirculated coin sets different then the circulated coins? I mean if one gets the uncirculated sets isn't those the same as the coins that are circulated? 

Sorry I'm a bit new but learning. 

Off topic question. How does one get a small date 1970 penny? Try and get lucky with a uncirculated ?

On 10/18/2023 at 8:16 PM, EagleRJO said:

Actually about $80 including shipping both ways for just the op's coin ($10 + $19 + $28 + ~$20 or so shipping to NGC), not including any error or variety, which is the least expensive submission possible.

Some don't consider shipping costs which often exceeds the basic handling and grading cost (economy or modern tier) for a single coin submittal.

Excellent point.

@edhalbrook--Yes, the 1975 cents that were included in mint-issued uncirculated coin ("mint") sets are the same as those issued for circulation. Dealers and collectors also saved uncirculated rolls and bags of these coins, which are also a source of uncirculated single pieces for coin albums. 

On 10/19/2023 at 5:24 AM, edhalbrook said:

Sorry for butting in on the conversation but can't you get uncirculated 1975 sets that have this penny in it?

No need to apologize for a valid question, yes you can find uncirculated 1975 Lincoln cents quite easily, either in mint sets as you suggested or by searching rolls.   The issue is that finding a high quality, thus high value, 1975 Lincoln cent is quite another matter.   Many mint sets have suffered the fate of improper storage so it is common to see the cents in those sets with spots, corrosion, or PVC, which makes them undesirable for many collectors.   Rolls are also plentiful and easy to find, but many of those have already been searched and the few gems have already been plucked out.   However, many of those coins in rolls and mint sets are nice mid-grade BU coins perfectly fine for use in albums or folders where many do not need an MS68 condition coin.

Keep in mind that some of this discussion, and the viewpoints offered, depend on how one collects, albums vs registry.   I do both and I have spent time to search thru rolls and mint sets so I do know just how difficult it can be to find coins that are suitable for slabbing.   In fact, I rarely do that anymore, instead, when buying a coin for my registry set I would prefer to buy the coin already slabbed and let someone else do all that work.

On 10/19/2023 at 5:24 AM, edhalbrook said:

Off topic question. How does one get a small date 1970 penny? Try and get lucky with a uncirculated ?

Basically that is correct, the small and large cents were not segregated out or distributed in any special way from the other.   The red book I have does not list specific mintages and I have not seen any reference material that does.   Both are reasonably plentiful but because of the hype the small date received it commands a higher price.   As a result of the higher price, and unless you can find an untouched stash, you can expect that most of the mint sets and rolls in the market will already have been searched and any small dates likely already removed.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/19/2023 at 8:24 AM, edhalbrook said:

Sorry for butting in on the conversation but can't you get uncirculated 1975 sets that have this penny in it? Though if I remember right when I looked at the sets they had toning on them. I was looking for the dollar coin

If you want the dollar coin of 1975 it will have to be a Bicentennial. In 1975 the only coins with that date are Cents ,Nickels and Dimes. The Quarters, Half's and Dollars are all dated 1776/1976 

Edited by J P M

On 10/20/2023 at 9:40 AM, edhalbrook said:

So many of the uncirculated 1975's are in horrible shape. This one seems to be typical. 

s-l1600 (14).jpg

Sorry to say .You will find that most of the older P + D mint sets you pick up will have coins that are not that great. No FT. FB, FS lots of dings and scrapes.  

On 10/19/2023 at 1:36 PM, J P M said:

If you want the dollar coin of 1975 it will have to be a Bicentennial. In 1975 the only coins with that date are Cents ,Nickels and Dimes. The Quarters, Half's and Dollars are all dated 1776/1976 

Yeah I am trying to get the Ike set. So you need the 1974 and 1975 uncirculated sets.