• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about a mint error returned as damaged
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello, brand new here so I hope this is the appropriate forum.  I'm looking for opinions on this coin that was returned ungraded and a tag that just says damaged.  I agree the coin is damaged but this appears to me to be a mint error that is either off center or maybe referred to as a late stage die.  This is not my coin but looking at a small collection for a friend.  I have no idea how long ago this coin was submitted but I'm curious if NGC would reconsider this as mint error with some kind of designation?  I really don't know and I'm not even clear if it's worth resubmitting.  Just looking for people's feedback?  I appreciate your input!  Thank you!  

PXL_20231015_210349940~2.jpg

PXL_20231015_210407632~2.jpg

The fact that it's struck somewhat off center doesn't change the fact that it's damaged. I highly doubt that it's worth resubmitting.

On 10/15/2023 at 5:20 PM, Twomanycoins said:

... the coin is damaged but this appears to me to be a mint error that is either off center or maybe referred to as a late stage die ... I'm curious if NGC would reconsider this as mint error with some kind of designation?

It is an off-center strike error, but it does look like it's damaged with a large gouge on the obverse and has other damage such as scratches and hits.  I think the pic of the tag answers one of your questions that "NGC can encapsulate this coin as being genuine", or what is referred to as a "details grade", that also notes the error on the label.

See the attached example of a details grade mint error, although it's for a different coin and error.  However, I agree that due to the significant damage and significant amount of wear it may not be worth re-submitting.

31388523_1.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

The short answer to your question whether this coin is worth submitting to a third-party grading service such as NGC is NO.

Capped Bust, lettered edge half dollars (1807-1836) are all "open collar" strikes in which the mint did not use a "close collar" that when properly placed keeps planchets (coin blanks) perfectly centered between the dies during striking.  Consequently, many of these coins are at least slightly off center, with the dentils (those elongated grooves extending from the edge) longer on one part of each side than the other and sometimes, as on this coin, not visible on part of the edge at all. This 1813 is a little more off center than usually seen, with a small unstruck area beyond the dentils, but, in my experience, not far enough to be considered a significant mint error for which an error collector would pay a significant premium. It is also not particularly desirable to a Bust Half collector due to the damage--part of the coin appears to be bent--and because its unattractive color suggests that it has been improperly "cleaned".

NCS no longer encapsulates coins.  NGC would now encapsulate it with a "details" adjectival grade (Fine or Very Fine for this moderately circulated coin) and a description of the impairment ("damaged", "bent" and/or "cleaned"). The coin is probably worth less than $100 due to the impairments; a coin should be worth at least several hundred dollars to be worth the cost of certification.  In this case the cost of certification would include, assuming that you are already a paying NGC member with submission privileges, a minimum $23 grading fee at the "Economy" tier for coins valued at no more than $300, an $18 error attribution fee (which NGC would retain even if the off-center strike is considered too minor to be attributed), a $10 per order processing fee, and a $28 return shipping fee (one to ten coins), totaling $78 if your order is for this one coin. You would also have to pay for shipment to NGC. An NGC member dealer might be able to submit the coin for somewhat less, but still for more than would be likely worth your while.

Edited by Sandon
clarified language

On 10/15/2023 at 6:25 PM, EagleRJO said:

It is an off-center strike error, but it does look like it's damaged with a large gouge on the obverse and has other damage such as scratches and hits.  I think the pic of the tag answers one of your questions that "NGC can encapsulate this coin as being genuine", or what is referred to as a "details grade", that also notes the error on the label.

See the attached example of a details grade mint error, although it's for a different coin and error.  However, I agree that due to the significant damage and significant amount of wear it may not be worth re-submitting.

31388523_1.jpg

On 10/15/2023 at 5:44 PM, Twomanycoins said:

Adding one additional pic.

PXL_20231015_210522307.jpg

It looks like I would just keep all that information with the coin. It is a real 210 year old coin with a certification number saying it is to damaged to put in a Certified Holder unless you want to pay more money. Here is the link to your coin. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2251182-001/Other/

On 10/15/2023 at 5:20 PM, Twomanycoins said:

I agree the coin is damaged but this appears to me to be a mint error that is either off center or maybe referred to as a late stage die.

Off-center errors on these are common as Sandon explained, above. But that is not the damage NGC noted. The two are separate attributes with damage being the one that prevents a normal grade being assigned.

Also, it's not worth the cost of resubmission.