• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 sms Kennedy half dollor
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Hi I was wondering if u guy know anything about the 1964 sms Kennedy half dollor  to my understanding there r 4 variety in the 1964 Kennedy half dollor rite there the1964 no mint mark from Philly in here 1964 d form Denver in there 1964 proof in last the 1964 sms Kennedy half dollar please do let me know if I missing anything eles

can you get a memory card and transfer the pictures so we can see better instead of taking a photo of a screen? 

Looks normal to me. The bump below the 4 is absent on at least one SMS but the die polish lines mentioned in the video I posted are on all so look there. 

The NGC Registry forum is dedicated to topics relating to the NGC Registry. Please post topics like this on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum or the "U.S., World, and Ancient Coins" forum.  

As I understand it, a dealer named Lester Merkin had sets of supposedly specially struck 1964 Philadelphia mint coins in all denominations that he had apparently obtained from Eva Adams, the then Director of the Mint, or some other mint employee. See 1964 50C SMS (Special Strike) Kennedy Half Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts. Although grading services have certified a few of these supposedly special strikes, and they have sold for high prices, some experts such as @RWB maintain that they are just regular strikes from new production dies and that there is nothing "special" about them at all. To my knowledge, none has ever been found among 1964 coins issued for circulation.

Unless you can trace these coins to a presentation set obtained from a mint employee in or about 1964 and they have an unusual matte finish, which based on the photos they do not, you are simply wasting your time. (I also don't see the purportedly identifying "defect that appears to hang from the crosslet of the 4", only a contact mark.)  Unfortunately, there is much disinformation about these coins posted by unscrupulous or ill-informed persons on YouTube and similar sites.

These is no evidence supporting the Merkin story or other fabrications. A member is working on a detailed research article and has posted some preliminary information here and on PCGS' message board. The article will be ready when the author feels the work is complete.

On 10/14/2023 at 12:23 AM, Just Bob said:

Here we go......

Oh boy, here we go is right.  Linking YT again instead of going to reputable sources like the one Sandon posted or from reputable people on this topic like RWB.