• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 Penny
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, AdrianHL said:

Hi all! Could please help me finding out to evaluate/certificate this coin. 

I appreciate it 

Thank you 

20231013_144754.jpg

20231013_144726.jpg

The "3" looks funny, the "S" mint mark also looks weird and doesn't seem to be in the correct location. Looks fake to me. 

Can you post better pictures, close up and cropped?

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Flow

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  When you post photos of a coin, please crop your photos so that they show entirely or primarily the coin and not the surface on which it sits.

The first thing I usually tell someone with a purported 1943 bronze cent is to hold a magnet against it. If the coin sticks or is attracted to the magnet, then it is simply a normal zinc coated steel 1943 cent that has been copper plated outside of the mint, as have been thousands of such pieces. However, from what I can see, your coin has an "S" mintmark that is the wrong shape, an odd color, grainy surfaces, and, especially, on the reverse, weak details and unusually wide, flat rims. These factors indicate that the coin is very likely counterfeit. Given these factors, it is unlikely that further evaluation would be worth your time or money, although better photos would still be helpful.

Thanks for the much better photos. It turns out that the obverse details are also weak and "mushy".  The diagnosis is the same--counterfeit. Your "coin" is likely one of the numerous fakes from mainland China that have been flooding the world for about the last 20 years.

Below are photos of a genuine uncirculated 1943-S zinc coated steel cent from the NGC Coin Explorer. (There only six known examples of the 1943-S struck on bronze planchets, and there are no photos of one on the NGC website.) Note the size and shape of the "S" mintmark and the crisp, clear details. The mintmark on a genuine bronze piece would be the same, and the details would also be smooth and sharp, bronze being easier to strike than steel.

1943 S 1C MS

1943 S 1C MS

On 10/13/2023 at 4:34 PM, Sandon said:

... photos of a genuine uncirculated 1943-S zinc coated steel cent from the NGC Coin Explorer ... There only six known examples of the 1943-S struck on bronze planchets, and there are no photos of one on the NGC website

Attached is a pic of a Bronze 1943-S 1C graded MS63 BN.

40273637_31407599_2200.jpg

Agree on the fake. Outside of the mintmark, the coin overall on both sides has somewhat mushy details and the flattened rims are a dead giveaway. The lettering on both sides of the coin also has an unnatural appearance. Some letters seem struck better than others. This would not happen in the mint process, especially on this coin as the presses were set to a little higher pressure as the steel was more difficult to strike than the standard bronze planchets. And is it just me or does the three seem like it was altered or added somehow?