• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help in How to figure out a copy from genuine
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Ok so I can pretty much tell you that this is a fake. This is a counterfeit 1877 1/2 Dollar Barber Trial Pattern coin.

1877 50C Half Dollar, Judd-1536, Pollock-1704, High R.7

EXTREMELY RARE

Very few are known to exist (3) and this is NOT one of them. It would not look anything like that. It would be perfect and no one would ever let a coin like that into circulation PERIOD> Its a fake. Id bet my cats on it. It would look like the example in the photo you posted.. perfect. Coins such as this were specially made for the director of the mint in 1877 Henry Linderman by Chief engraver William Barber and his assistant engraver George Morgan. These two were always competing to impress the Mint director with their new designs. This gave Director Linderman and a few other savvy mint insiders a great opportunity to obtain these rare and beautiful coins for their private collections. Director Linderman died in1879. The coins remained in his collection until a man named Lyman Low tried to sell them. The government stepped in and confiscated them as government property. The coins were then seen again for sale in 1888 By J W Scott where they were all sold and placed in private collections. One coin was offered for sale again with Stacks in 1999 and sold for over 15k.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

To the OP, many factors come into play when it comes to counterfeits, replicas, and the like. The alloy (mix of metals), the dies used to make the fakes, how the fakes get struck, where the fakes get struck, etc. There are even some with artificial toning, and artificial wear meant to further deceive. Sometimes it cannot be determined from just a photo. And definitely anybody untrained to spot fakes is probably going to fail the test especially at first.

On a coin such as this, it is a little easier to determine when there are only 3 known to exist. In your initial post in another forum, I just knew that there are no Judd Trial Pattern coins floating around in the wild, and especially acquired for very little money (I hope you didn't pay a lot for these coins) so it was not hard to decide the coin you presented was not legitimate.

Be aware as well that there are "fantasy" coins and exonumia that resembles highly rare coins, but these as well should say COPY on them if they are made to resemble the original coin and its details. There are Chinese fakes that do not have the word COPY on them as there is no law in China requiring them to put the word onto the coin, so it is another thing to be aware of.

Edited by powermad5000

On 10/12/2023 at 5:25 PM, Hend said:

... how i can differentiate if its a copy

Sandon et al. gave some very good advice about counterfeits, which can be very difficult to detect sometimes.  You would have to spend countless hours learning about particular coins, the counterfeits of those coins and die indicators as well as spend significant amounts of time examining coins.

You would also need die variety references, tools more advanced collectors have, and methods for determining the specific gravity of coins.  And just looking at pictures of coins is sometimes not sufficient to really tell if a particular coin may be a counterfeit.

So that is a decision each collector needs to make based on their collecting style and aptitude for learning about counterfeits.  And newer collectors or those not willing to accept some risk should just stick with coins already certified, particularly for more valuable coins.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, Sandon said:

Authentication of coins and detecting counterfeits is a complex subject that requires much knowledge, experience, and sometimes special equipment to master.

By "special equipment" I assume you are referring to a very accurate scale, magnifying loupes, calipers, a magnet, a scope and things needed to determine SG which more serious collectors should have anyway.

Edited by EagleRJO

Thank you all, 

This was very helpful, specially for a biggner like me.

and no I didn't pay alot, Actually it worth it, i mean the experibce as it was  very interesting, the process of learning about coins and examine them.

Thanks 🙏 

Would this fake be made from silver?

Hard to tell without a weight but there are many counterfeits made from both silver and gold. 
so you can’t always tell by the material about whether it is legitimate or not.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:25 AM, powermad5000 said:

Be aware as well that there are "fantasy" coins and exonumia that resembles highly rare coins ...

Which fantasy coins or tokens are you referring to which resemble legitimate rare coins?

As far as I know those are terms related to pieces which never existed.  But that wouldn't have anything to do with the subject coin or something the op would need to be aware of.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:02 AM, edhalbrook said:

Would this fake be made from silver? When people make fake coins like this do they usually use the right material? 

It could be made of silver to more closely resemble legit pieces.  If you weigh the piece with an accurate scale that could give you an indication as it should weigh about 12.50g +/- 0.10g.

But a correct weight doesn't necessarily mean it's silver as off-metal counterfeits sometimes are made with a different thickness that results in a close overall weight.  In that case a shop with an XRF tester could tell you or the specific gravity would need to be checked.

1877 50C Specs.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO