• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for an expert opinion regard my coins
1 1

10 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2023 at 2:26 AM, Hend said:

Hello, 

Can any expert in coins help me with his opinion about my coins

They are listed below:

The last picture is of a '43 zinc coated steel cent, the first three look like copies of U.S. pattern coins.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Correction

Thanks alot, 

How to know if it's a copy or a coin?

While I'm searching I found the first to be some kind of restrik coin, and the 1877 half dollar I found that it had some kind of  register number, but I can't find a certain answer, are those worthy?, how can I check and examine them?

Edited by Hend

On 10/12/2023 at 6:39 AM, Hend said:

How to know if it's a copy or a coin?

The overall look of the first three pieces seems crude and lacking detail, not how I would expect them to look. Try comparing your pieces to verified examples, you should see the differences between them.

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please post inquiries like this on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, where it will receive better attention from forum members, many of whom are experienced collectors.

The last coin you posted is a genuine, circulated 1943 zinc coated steel Lincoln cent, of which over 684 million were issued. It has a retail value of about 40 cents in this condition.

For about the past twenty years large numbers of counterfeits of numerous issues of collectable U.S. coins and other coins have been produced in Mainland China, which I understand has no laws against such activities.   The first and third pieces are clearly crude counterfeits with incorrect and weak details, the first of an 1836 Gobrecht dollar with name below instead of on base, an extreme rarity, and the third of a half dollar pattern. The second piece is very likely also a counterfeit of a pattern. You should show this piece to someone who is experienced with pattern coinage, such as certain dealers who attend larger coin shows. One such dealer is Julian Leidman, whose contact information can be found on his website, www.juliancoin.

Here are images from the NGC Coin Explorer of a genuine 1836 name below base Gobrecht dollar (J-58). Note the numerous differences in the details from the one you posted.

1836 SILVER GOBRECHT J-58 $1 PF

The second piece is very likely also a counterfeit of a pattern.

The second piece is definitly a counterfeit so the only genuine coin is the 1943 cent.  

If geniune, some of thoose pattern coin could be worth as uch as $40,000

On 10/12/2023 at 6:56 PM, Sandon said:

Please post inquiries like this on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, where it will receive better attention from forum members, many of whom are experienced collectors.

The last coin you posted is a genuine, circulated 1943 zinc coated steel Lincoln cent, of which over 684 million were issued. It has a retail value of about 40 cents in this condition.

For about the past twenty years large numbers of counterfeits of numerous issues of collectable U.S. coins and other coins have been produced in Mainland China, which I understand has no laws against such activities.   The first and third pieces are clearly crude counterfeits with incorrect and weak details, the first of an 1836 Gobrecht dollar with name below instead of on base, an extreme rarity, and the third of a half dollar pattern. The second piece is very likely also a counterfeit of a pattern. You should show this piece to someone who is experienced with pattern coinage, such as certain dealers who attend larger coin shows. One such dealer is Julian Leidman, whose contact information can be found on his website, www.juliancoin.

Here are images from the NGC Coin Explorer of a genuine 1836 name below base Gobrecht dollar (J-58). Note the numerous differences in the details from the one you posted.

On 10/12/2023 at 6:56 PM, Sandon said:

I can't thank you enough for your help 

Where do so many people on this board get all these counterfeits? Are they shopping Chinese sites and trying to get them past us? Is that it?

Edited by VKurtB

EBay has been historically loaded with counterfeits. Many of them get caught by collectors who look for them, but you have to bet that some of them have gotten through. 

I dare say that if you frequent flea markets, you will run into many counterfeits, especially "circulated Morgan Dollars." Time was you could buy those coins with relative confidence, but no more. 

Don't think that you are safe because you are only buying the common date and mint mark combinations. The Chinese are making those in droves. They look like circulated silver, but there is not a drop of silver in them.