• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for some help with my coins
1 1

15 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello @Hend

Thank you for reaching out to us. NGC does not offer services to appraise the value of coins, nor do we buy or sell coins.

Good resources for determining the value of your coins are completed eBay auctions and the posted prices by large coin dealers. We do have a coin price guide on our website, which might offer some information. These prices come to us from a third party and are based on current auction pricing: US Price Guide or World Price Guide. These price guides may not be all-inclusive, and any missing information is generally due to a lack of available sales data. 

If you are interested in submitting your coins and looking to determine their value to complete your submission, keep in mind that the value we ask you for is an insurance value. This should be a number you would feel comfortable with in terms of a replacement value if your coin was lost or damaged while with us. We encourage you to be conservative, as we do not reimburse you if you overvalue your coin. If your coin was grossly undervalued, we reserve the right to bump it to the appropriate tier fee.  

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Your first three coins are all counterfeits. The designers initials on 1836 Gobrecht dollars are located inside the base that Liberty is seated upon, not below it. I will post a photo from NGC CoinExplorer of the obverse of a legitimate 1836 Gobrecht dollar. The second coin is a fantasy exonumia piece as well as the third with the third being an unsuccessful attempted replica of a Judd Trial Pattern coin. These coins have no value.

Your fourth coin is a normal 1943 Lincoln Steel Wheat Cent showing wear and some surface environmental damage with a mintage number of 684,628,670 and in its present condition, is worth $0.10-$0.20.

3578201-008co.jpg

Thanks for reply, and thanks alot for helping.

But I have smal question just to make sure

I found over internet this information about the gobrecht dollar

Restrike, stary back  aligment iii  print bellow the edge 

https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/3105/dollars/gobrecht/1836-P/restrike-name-on-base-no-stars-on-reverse-plain-field/

Are those falls information or I misunderstand them.

On 10/12/2023 at 1:11 PM, powermad5000 said:

The designers initials on 1836 Gobrecht dollars are located inside the base that Liberty is seated upon, not below it.

This is not correct. Please check the introductory paragraph about Gobrecht dollars in the Redbook and see my response and photo in the OPs duplicate post in the Coin Marketplace forum. There are extremely rare versions of the 1836 Gobrecht dollar (J-58 and 59) with "C. Gobrecht F." below the base.  The more familiar version, J-60, has the name on the base. You are correct, of course, that it and the other two purported pattern pieces are counterfeits.   

On 10/12/2023 at 1:28 PM, Hend said:

Take a closer look at the photos in your link and compare the fine details (such as Liberty's face) and surfaces of the genuine examples shown there with the crudity of your counterfeit. All coins struck from the genuine dies will be a match in these details.  It is also likely that your piece is struck in base metal and will be incorrect in weight, which would be approximately 26.73 to 26.96 grams when weighed on a properly calibrated digital scale.

The information in the link you provided is correct. The first original set of dies for the 1836 Gobrecht dollars had the designers name below the base Liberty sits on and in the field as would be on the coin you have but there are no known examples of them, and it is believed that no coins were struck from those dies. The designer subsequently moved his name into the base on a new set of striking dies. A thousand coins were struck, but the feeder mechanism to feed the blank planchets into the dies was designed for half dollar coins and damaged the rims on the reverse die. Attempts were made to rotate the reverse die to alleviate the problem but that ended up causing damage on both sides of the reverse rim. There are four known alignments :

I - Head of Liberty opposite DO in DOLLAR, eagle flying upward

II - Head of Liberty opposite ES in STATES, eagle flying upward

III - Head of Liberty opposite N of ONE, eagle flying level

IV - Head of Liberty opposite F in OF, eagle flying level

Two restrikes are listed for Proof Gobrecht dollars in 1836. One with the designers name below the base, eagle in a starry field, and plain edge. The second restrike in 1836 had the name on the base, and a plain edge. 

Your coin is most certainly not a proof coin.

On 10/12/2023 at 12:40 PM, Sandon said:

This is not correct. Please check the introductory paragraph about Gobrecht dollars in the Redbook

Then my Redbook is not correct? It is sitting in my lap and what I read before I replied to the OP.

On 10/12/2023 at 8:51 PM, powermad5000 said:

Then my Redbook is not correct? It is sitting in my lap and what I read before I replied to the OP.

Thanks for reply.

No I can see that in my eyes after I got to the details in the two pictures. Totally different.

I wish myself good luck in next time, and to all of you too for your help

Edited by Hend

Well, I stand corrected. I either have to make notes in my Redbook, or get a new Redbook. Apparently, after some browsing in the NGC Price Guide, there are known Proof varieties with the name below the base. My apologies. Still, the details of these are unmatched to the OP's coin, and the denticles are the first dead giveaway.

On 10/12/2023 at 2:07 PM, powermad5000 said:

I either have to make notes in my Redbook, or get a new Redbook.

What version of the Redbook are you using?  The 2023 (now last year's) standard edition, at p. 229, states in the introductory paragraph on Gobrecht dollars that, "The first obverse die, dated 1836, bore the seated figure of Liberty with the inscription C. GOBRECHT F. . . . in the field above the date." (On p. 230 this version is listed as a restrike.) The same sentence appears on p.859 of the 6th edition (2020) of the Deluxe or "Mega Red" version.  I recall that older versions of the Redbook had photos of this variety, but they are usually now regarded as patterns or restrikes.

On 10/12/2023 at 1:46 PM, Hend said:

I've clean it

Then it may be fortunate that the coin is counterfeit!   Never "clean" any coin that may be worth more than face value! Any abrasive or chemical process used on a coin, even rubbing it with a cloth, can change its surfaces in ways that collectors find very undesirable and can substantially reduce its value.

If you would like to learn some basics about U.S. coins and collecting them, see the following topics:

On 10/12/2023 at 10:07 PM, Sandon said:

What version of the Redbook are you using?  The 2023 (now last year's) standard edition, at p. 229, states in the introductory paragraph on Gobrecht dollars that, "The first obverse die, dated 1836, bore the seated figure of Liberty with the inscription C. GOBRECHT F. . . . in the field above the date." (On p. 230 this version is listed as a restrike.) The same sentence appears on p.859 of the 6th edition (2020) of the Deluxe or "Mega Red" version.  I recall that older versions of the Redbook had photos of this variety, but they are usually now regarded as patterns or restrikes.

Then it may be fortunate that the coin is counterfeit!   Never "clean" any coin that may be worth more than face value! Any abrasive or chemical process used on a coin, even rubbing it with a cloth, can change its surfaces in ways that collectors find very undesirable and can substantially reduce its value.

If you would like to learn some basics about U.S. coins and collecting them, see the following topics:

Thanks for that, I did with all, I will be carfull next time, I think I found my hobby!!

Also, sorry for annoying you again but I was comparing the half dollar 1877 with original, and I would like your opinion in it.

Would the coin lose some of its features because it's old ?? Bellow are the photos

20231012_231232.thumb.jpg.d0fdbf50efcf67e4b0e6c05ba5ff8659.jpg20231012_231135.thumb.jpg.e631a49f69f9f7e428407aa41bf69050.jpg20231012_231116.thumb.jpg.e91f8622790137251faee1c5235fd90b.jpg20231012_231232.thumb.jpg.d0fdbf50efcf67e4b0e6c05ba5ff8659.jpg200432795.thumb.jpg.ebc5a5c478ab8d351b37f0579a689969.jpg

20231012_231241.jpg

Please re-post this as a new topic in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum, and I and likely other members of the forum will be happy to answer.

On 10/12/2023 at 2:07 PM, Sandon said:

What version of the Redbook are you using?

2018. I read that but it also had said there was doubt any coins were struck from the first set of dies. I had to reread the rest of it because the way it was worded and split apart it wasn't clear immediately to me what happened back then. I had apologized for my mistake earlier.