• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do I have here? 1968 Error?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum

That is not an error, that is damage. It is only an error if it happens during the striking of the coin.  
Anything that happens after that is considered damage.

Thanks Greenstang. Having a lot of fun just lloking and learning. Found this today too... 

Is this what you are referring to? It's symmetrical and looks to be mechanical from the description..

20231007_163436.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

The numeral "8" in the date on your 1968-D Roosevelt dime appears to be normally shaped for a dime of that year, with some flattening acquired over its decades in circulation. Here is a photo of the obverse of a nearly uncirculated example of the same issue, showing the same shape for the "8".

S20231007_0003.thumb.jpg.24594c16f645ad8fe734a96a9a606d18.jpg

I'm not sure what you find unusual about the obverse of the quarter. If you're referring to the circular scrapes through the bottoms of some of the lettering and the mintmark, this is almost certainly damage from a roll wrapping machine.

Contrary to what you may have read on the internet, it is extremely unusual to find any significant mint error coin in circulation. I've been collecting coins and checking change for over fifty years, and in all that time the only error coins I have found are a blank cent planchet and a couple of broadstruck quarters, each worth at most a few dollars.

What print and online resources have you consulted to learn about coins? 

@Sandon,

The 8 actually looked like a nine at first glance and appeared to be very different than others I saw as well as the the other numbers in the date. Thats why im in this forum. I look here for information.. I don't know the vocabulary nor do I have the eye. The quarter was in my pocket  and the dime was mixed in with pre 65 silver coins that I now have after my mother passed. I've been looking through all of it when I can find the time. Iwas just curious as to why the 68 would be there too..  The one led the other and I finally decided to just register here so I could ask. Ill deal with the extra emails later! If they were common then none of us would be here at all. Just here to learn

Ask away, but yes, it is better to keep each coin in its own thread. At least here, you will get the truth (sometimes hard truth, but the truth nonetheless). I agree with the others offerings on both coins, btw.

On 10/7/2023 at 8:04 PM, bgreaney25 said:

The 8 actually looked like a nine at first glance and appeared to be very different than others I saw as well as the the other numbers in the date.

It is a strange looking date on that dime, particularly the "8" even uncirculated.  Like they tried to squeeze it between the neckline and rim, but failed.  :insane:

On 10/7/2023 at 8:04 PM, bgreaney25 said:

I don't know the vocabulary ...

Try this topic ...

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary/