• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Us dime questions.
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I’m new to coin collect just wanted to know if anyone could give me some information on my 1985 P dime. It just out shines all the other dimes and has a mirror like finish. Thanks. 

IMG_4058.jpeg

IMG_4056.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.  A coin's condition is dependent on how it has been stored and how much it has circulated.  Your coin appears to have spent most of it's life protected from circulation, the environment, and damage.  You can put it in in inexpensive coin holder to keep it that way.

Freshly struck copper-nickel coins, including clad versions, have a bright gray, slightly silvery color. This fades quickly on exposure to air and handling.

Welcome to the forums, many new collectors are drawn to "shiny" coins as they often stand out against the usual dull coins we see in our change.   That alone does not mean a coin has any value over its face value, this coin might have been pulled and placed into an album by a collector many years ago and if that collector passes and the collection is broken up many coin dealers suggest that coins like this that have no real value of their face value should just be spent by the heirs.

Nothing wrong with holding onto this coin if you like it, but from only the obv photos you have provided I do not see anything that would make this worth more than the face value.

I am not so sure about this coin. Better closeups fully cropped of both sides would be needed to give it a better assessment. I am a little suspect that this coin has been cleaned as I denote the rims are not really full. I know the 80's Roosy's were hard to get higher grades and didn't have super sharp details due to extreme overuse of the dies, but I do own two 1981 P Roosy's, one an MS 66 FT and one a MS 67 and the rims are very distinct on both of them. Not saying the OP's dime cannot be a lower grade MS, but the rims on it don't sit well with me as far as an MS specimen goes.