• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

enabling non-competitive coins
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Dear Sirs / Madams,

I understand the principle of special coins without set points ("Non-competitive; for display only"), however I recently added one of these coins to my collection.

Is there any hard reason for not including them, besides allowing more people to compare their efforts?

Or can we do something about it?

Kind regards

lolo22

(the set is Argentina 50 Centavos, 1881-1883, Circulation Issue)

On 10/1/2023 at 1:35 PM, lolo22 said:

Dear Sirs / Madams,

I understand the principle of special coins without set points ("Non-competitive; for display only"), however I recently added one of these coins to my collection.

Is there any hard reason for not including them, besides allowing more people to compare their efforts?

Or can we do something about it?

Kind regards

lolo22

(the set is Argentina 50 Centavos, 1881-1883, Circulation Issue)

I do not work for or speak for NGC, however, in the past the reasons given were that there were too few graded examples so that only one, or perhaps two collectors, would have access to those coins.   The other often cited reason is that for extremely expensive coins, coins that only a very few collectors could reasonably be expected to afford, are used as display only.   The thought process behind both of these reasons is that it would be unfair to collectors in general if a set could only be completed by one or two collectors as a result of extreme price or lack of availability.