• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint strike error
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

As others have stated, this Morgan dollar exhibits rim damage, not a mint error.  The coin is also heavily circulated, with only Very Good or so details based on your photo of the reverse, and based on the unnatural color has been improperly "cleaned".  These are large, heavy silver coins and frequently acquire this and other types of damage in circulation.

In the future, please show us cropped photos of both sides of a coin about which you have questions.

I truly appreciate all of your comments. I am not a collector and came upon this coin from my mother. I am just really curious and joined so I could ask questions like this. I have added the adverse image as was requested. The reverse side of the coin show a section where the ridges are filled in. The ridge shows a point of significant impact. That area also shows some discoloration into the coin on the reverse side at point of impact. The adverse side of that same area shows no obvious sign of damage at the same location which you would expect from compression. I have not taken a micrometer to it but the closeup of the ridge shows no obvious sign of compression.

Based upon your comments the damage to the reverse side ridge of the coin (filled in) was caused by an impact to the ridge. And, this impact did not cause any damage to the adverse side. Thank you all so much for your consideration

On 9/27/2023 at 4:40 PM, jimg908 said:

The ridge shows a point of significant impact. That area also shows some discoloration into the coin on the reverse side at point of impact. The adverse side of that same area shows no obvious sign of damage at the same location which you would expect from compression. I have not taken a micrometer to it but the closeup of the ridge shows no obvious sign of compression.

You can clearly see that the rim and edge has taken an off center hit which has dented the coin edge closer to the reverse and mashed together several denticles on the reverse.  This would not necessarily result in damage to the obverse.

There would be no reason to measure anything with a micrometer.  This is not an error coin or worth any premium or more of your time investigating.  It's just post-mint impact damage which did not occur at the mint. no matter exactly what the cause was.