• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foreign Coin Funkiness
1 1

8 posts in this topic

A couple of foreign coins I have with aspects I would appreciate opinions on.  The first is a 1966 Spain Peseta, the reverse has what looks to be brown spots scattered across the whole reverse.  I've run through a few in the past, but never saw this.  Any ideas what it is?  The second coin is a Belgium 1976 Franc.  The date is quite off.  I am curious if it is die deterioration or simply damage.  Any insight would be great. 

ES.1966.O.jpg

ES.1966.R.jpg

Welcome to the Forum!

Correct me if I am wrong, but there appears to be nothing noticeably wrong with the '66 peseta.  On the other hand, there appears to be quite noticeable [at least partial] die-doubling of the '76 franc's date.

The only problem I see, if in fact there is any, is whether the minting authority officially recognizes the latter for what it quite clearly appears to be. Hopefully, other more knowledgeable members will be able to provide that answer.

Thanks for the response Henri.  You are most likely correct, there may be nothing wrong, but it stood out to me.  My question about the reverse on the peseta is the brown dashes that effectively encompass the whole reverse.  Have you seen that effect on other coins?  I ran through multiple similar pesestas and found no others like this.  It doesn't seem like typical natural wear/damage. 

My best guess.

Coin blanks are punched from a sheet of material. When the sheet of material is drawn out to the proper thickness, some junk/dirt was smashed into one side of the material. 

The second coin looks like the dies were well worn when the coin was struck. 

The "66" peseta is actually a 1969,  The date is in the stars on the reverse.  The 19 is in the lower star and 69 in the upper one.  The Belgium franc is showing die deterioration doubling.

@Conder101 :

Your reply literally drips with incontestible "insider knowledge," an effective come-back to which I do not have. Am I to believe I am to disregard the 1966 as prominently displayed on the obverse, front and bottom, and conduct a scavenger hunt for the date amongst the galaxies? What about, "The fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves."  (I may not be permitted to call you Mighty Conder anymore, but there is definitely a greatness about you. Another big ️ for NGC for having you!)