• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traveling Willburies, nope, Bellmans
1 1

100 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2023 at 8:15 PM, Henri Charriere said:

...fwiw..." 'ey, yo' " is universally accepted, inside or outside, some of the more marginal 'hoods of new york city in places you wouldn't want to wake up dead in...it is my understanding "yo" has an entirely different etymological derivation and application in baltimore for reasons one researcher studying the matter has been unable to get to the bottom of...

“Yo” has a slightly different connotation in Philly and its suburbs too. Think Rocky Balboa or Andrew Dice Clay. 

On 10/9/2023 at 5:44 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Sounds like here where I live.  Everyone is very friendly and use "sir" and "mam" to everyone.  

I guess that’s why I fit in mostly here. I’ve been using “sir” and “ma’am” since I first entered local government service. The part I haven’t figured out yet is how to use “bless his heart” as the equivalent for the vilest epithets a Philly denizen can summon up. 

On 10/11/2023 at 4:12 AM, VKurtB said:

.... The part I haven’t figured out yet is how to use “bless his heart” as the equivalent for the vilest epithets a Philly denizen can summon up. 

"Bless his/her/your heart," is used exclusively by women. "Have a blessed day," is used primarily by church ladies. "Have a nice day!, under a particular set of circumstances, may be positive, and often is, or as the equivalent for the vilest epithets anyone can hurl at you. One of the more interesting applications of an expression that can have two meanings that are polar opposites is, "Get the eff out of here!"  The movie actor, Eddie Murphy, used it in speaking to a gentleman of the gay persuasion, in one of his L.A. movies, authentically and appropriately, with an air of mock disbelief or wonderment to mean: "You've got to be kidding me!" or "Get out of heerRRRe!"  Minus an applicable emoji, much of what I post on the Forum never sees the light of day.

On 10/5/2023 at 1:04 PM, zadok said:

...u think many coinex dealers will participate at the imex show in nashville later this month? did u see or hear of any comments bout that show? any advertising?

The dealer list is out for IMEX. A good mix, but lacking some of the ones I’d like to see.

On 10/11/2023 at 6:36 AM, Henri Charriere said:

"Bless his/her/your heart," is used exclusively by women. "Have a blessed day," is used primarily by church ladies. "Have a nice day!, under a particular set of circumstances, may be positive, and often is, or as the equivalent for the vilest epithets anyone can hurl at you. One of the more interesting applications of an expression that can have two meanings that are polar opposites is, "Get the eff out of here!"  The movie actor, Eddie Murphy, used it in speaking to a gentleman of the gay persuasion, in one of his L.A. movies, authentically and appropriately, with an air of mock disbelief or wonderment to mean: "You've got to be kidding me!" or "Get out of heerRRRe!"  Minus an applicable emoji, much of what I post on the Forum never sees the light of day.

...one could only hope it was more....

On 10/11/2023 at 4:32 PM, zadok said:

...one could only hope it was more....

[For the benefit of the uninitiated, this seemingly innocuous quip is representative of the spectacularly subdued humor this courtly member is capable of referring as it does to only the last line of my reply two posts up.  Another reason why at times I may be heard to say, "Man, I love this place!"]

On 10/4/2023 at 2:41 PM, VKurtB said:

I greet you from 34,000 feet above the Maine/Quebec border. 

Besides all the neat coins you brought back - did you encounter Europe’s swarm of bedbugs? 

On 10/15/2023 at 12:48 PM, Zebo said:

Besides all the neat coins you brought back - did you encounter Europe’s swarm of bedbugs? 

I saw no sign of bedbugs anywhere we went. The last time I caught a case of bedbugs was, I believe, 2017 in the greater Dallas, TX area, Irving, actually. The spring ANA show, right near "old" Texas Stadium's site. Figures.

Edited by VKurtB

Greetings!

Last we heard from you, you were in a holding pattern over Gander, Newfoundland on your way to check the racing ebb and flow of tides in the Bay of Fundy.  I am holding the Forum down for you to the best of my ability but this place just ain't the same without you.

All the best!

On 9/26/2023 at 2:24 AM, VKurtB said:

Tuppence?

Question:  if a "tuppence," is British slang for a 2p, why is five new pence and "two bob" a 10p.?  (shrug)