• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traveling Willburies, nope, Bellmans
1 1

100 posts in this topic

Well, Coinex 2023 closed about 15 minutes ago. It was a two-day affair put on by the British Numismatic Trade Association, unashamedly a trade group, NOT LIKE THE ANA, which is NOT ONE! It was held in the ballroom of the Biltmore Mayfair Hotel in Grosvenor Square, just near the old U.S. embassy, which is being converted to a hotel. It had about 30-ish dealers, roughly divided between gold-only (not a Coq Marianne to be seen), ancient-only, modern (which means any milled coin, not hammered) and auction houses. NGC, Heritage, S-B, CNG, and several British firms were well represented. I scored a rare 2009 uncirc set with the Kew Gardens 50p, a Charles III limited edition new Royal Crest Britannia ounce, an 1816 George III shilling in XF+, and an 1826 George IV shilling in AU. The difference between the sides of the 1816 is huge, the obverse being by far the better. It is solid MS.

For those who object to entry fees for coin shows, like at ANA shows, NEVER come to Great Britain! There was an entry fee of £30 per person, $40ish, but it did cover both days. Oh, we also got a 1901 silver sixpence for my step-daughter to wear in her shoe when she gets married, in a little over a week. The BNTA was striking hammered show medals and I snagged one of those. 

On 9/30/2023 at 8:13 PM, Zebo said:

I’m envious. Too bad you don’t have time to attend a British Numismatic Society meeting or pop over to Kew and search the archives. A trip to the British Museum would be nice.

cheers

I know. I’ve been to two BNS meetings, both in New York during the NYINC. Their annual January meeting is there. 

Edited by VKurtB

One of the lesser known facts is Kew Gardens [in Queens, N.Y.] is where Jerry Springer was from.  Helen Keller, Captain Kangaroo, Simon & Garfunkel, The Ramones (and Quintus Arrius) were all brought up one neighborhood over in Forest Hills, next door.  It is alleged Q.A. put the education he attained there to good use.  🤣

On 9/30/2023 at 11:18 PM, Henri Charriere said:

One of the lesser known facts is Kew Gardens [in Queens, N.Y.] is where Jerry Springer was from.  Helen Keller, Captain Kangaroo, Simon & Garfunkel, The Ramones (and Quintus Arrius) were all brought up one neighborhood over in Forest Hills, next door.  It is alleged Q.A. put the education he attained there to good use.  🤣

Does the one in Queens have the same column that shows on the 2009 50p over here?

UPDATE: Why is it that seemingly EVERYONE on the streets in London intends to run you over, rather than going to one side? Mayfair London has the RUDEST pedestrians I can ever recall encountering anywhere. Also, I've never seen so many burkhas in my life. I've seen maybe one or two in my whole life before this neighborhood. Here, it's one every four or five minutes. And the "Anglo" youths are just epically self-absorbed, both genders. What a nasty bunch of people!

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/1/2023 at 4:15 AM, VKurtB said:

Does the one in Queens have the same column that shows on the 2009 50p over here?

UPDATE: Why is it that seemingly EVERYONE on the streets in London intends to run you over, rather than going to one side? Mayfair London has the RUDEST pedestrians I can ever recall encountering anywhere. Also, I've never seen so many burkhas in my life. I've seen maybe one or two in my whole life before this neighborhood. Here, it's one every four or five minutes. And the "Anglo" youths are just epically self-absorbed, both genders. What a nasty bunch of people!

The  British youth have developed a bad reputation for lack of discipline and the exercise of simple, common everyday proper etiquette for visitors abroad.  As for New York, it is virtually impossible to distinguish a native New Yorker from the millions who reside and visit here.  (The only "column" I am aware of is the one stolen from Egypt and erected behind the Metropolitan Museum of Art called "Cleopatra's Needle").

I’ve stayed in Bloomsbury (home of CNG and NGC) and found the accommodations there sufficient, and now Mayfair, where the accommodations are, umm, excessive. I’ll take the street crowds in Bloomsbury any day. These people here are hopelessly boorish. 

On 10/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, VKurtB said:

I’ve stayed in Bloomsbury (home of CNG and NGC) and found the accommodations there sufficient, and now Mayfair, where the accommodations are, umm, excessive. I’ll take the street crowds in Bloomsbury any day. These people here are hopelessly boorish. 

…its in the genes, not sure if its the anglo or the saxon or possibly the picts…more probably the pool is getting shallower…maybe u should just go to hibernia….

I’ve been to the towne where Hibernia FC plays in the Scottish Premiership league. It was the home of the most friendly folks on our trip. Everywhere besides Edinburgh and Inverness, you can keep the whole lot of them. Paris, London, Dublin - I wouldn’t give you a used tissue for the lot of them. Even worse were the German tourists in Dublin. Grown men trying to jump in front of you at breakfast!!! Maybe my expectations have changed from three years in the Deep South. Nobody anywhere has those kinds of manners. Such universal boorishness from Europeans!

Of course Newark might not be better. “Hey! Excuse you! I’m walkin’ ova here!” I am sooooo ready to be back in Alabama. 

Compared with Europeans, our CATS are eminently trainable. The exception is European storekeepers. They were just fine. Coinex dealers would not know how to handle an ANA show. Too much actual work to do at an ANA. No time to just sit and chat and catch up with one another. 

Edited by VKurtB

So what you're saying is there are no more stiff upper lips, little Lord Fauntleroy-types running around or flower girls with Cockey accents. 🤣 

Oh well, at least they've still got that trial of the toothpyx. Did you know they're made from the finest mahogany?  The sun never sets on the British Empire.

Incidentally, are you sure the Europeans are Europeans?  The majority of New Yorkers are not New Yorkers.  In fact -- and you'll have to take my word on this, they are not even Americans. They just happen to be here. I have no opinion on the matter.  I am simply stating the facts.  :roflmao:

On 10/4/2023 at 3:29 PM, Henri Charriere said:

So what you're saying is there are no more stiff upper lips, little Lord Fauntleroy-types running around or flower girls with Cockey accents. 🤣 

Oh well, at least they've still got that trial of the toothpyx. Did you know they're made from the finest mahogany?  The sun never sets on the British Empire.

Incidentally, are you sure the Europeans are Europeans?  The majority of New Yorkers are not New Yorkers.  In fact -- and you'll have to take my word on this, they are not even Americans. They just happen to be here. I have no opinion on the matter.  I am simply stating the facts.  :roflmao:

I do have an opinion on the matter, and it ain’t the “PC” one. If you are not a citizen or on a valid visa, you need to get out. I could buy a house in the U.K., but three months is the longest I can stay at a clip. If I overstay my visa, I GO TO PRISON. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/4/2023 at 2:39 PM, VKurtB said:

I am sooooo ready to be back in Alabama. 

Sounds like you have really found a home and new way of life in Bama. 

Nah, 'bama'd be just a pit stop.  Sounds like after a bit of rest and recuperation you'll be ready to check out those roadside stands in PA. again.  🤣

Either way, welcome back!

On 10/5/2023 at 6:38 AM, Zebo said:

Sounds like you have really found a home and new way of life in Bama. 

I’ve never found anywhere with more people who practice what used to be considered common courtesy than in Alabama, UNLESS you have the temerity to suggest, as I do, that SEC football ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. LOL!

On 10/4/2023 at 2:39 PM, VKurtB said:

I’ve been to the towne where Hibernia FC plays in the Scottish Premiership league. It was the home of the most friendly folks on our trip. Everywhere besides Edinburgh and Inverness, you can keep the whole lot of them. Paris, London, Dublin - I wouldn’t give you a used tissue for the lot of them. Even worse were the German tourists in Dublin. Grown men trying to jump in front of you at breakfast!!! Maybe my expectations have changed from three years in the Deep South. Nobody anywhere has those kinds of manners. Such universal boorishness from Europeans!

Of course Newark might not be better. “Hey! Excuse you! I’m walkin’ ova here!” I am sooooo ready to be back in Alabama. 

Compared with Europeans, our CATS are eminently trainable. The exception is European storekeepers. They were just fine. Coinex dealers would not know how to handle an ANA show. Too much actual work to do at an ANA. No time to just sit and chat and catch up with one another. 

...u think many coinex dealers will participate at the imex show in nashville later this month? did u see or hear of any comments bout that show? any advertising?

On 10/5/2023 at 1:04 PM, zadok said:

...u think many coinex dealers will participate at the imex show in nashville later this month? did u see or hear of any comments bout that show? any advertising?

The show is advertised in a European coin magazine and there were flyers for it at Coinex. This show mostly was staffed by people who travel. Colonel Steve is a “character” who can be an acquired taste, but so can many world dealers be a bit prickly. 

The newbies here who insist on “positive only” comments would soon be upset by the world dealers. You guys think *I’m* a curmudgeon? You have NO idea. World dealers at Coinex were virtually ALL high end sellers. I saw stacks of notes changing hands. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/5/2023 at 5:04 PM, VKurtB said:

The show is advertised in a European coin magazine and there were flyers for it at Coinex. This show mostly was staffed by people who travel. Colonel Steve is a “character” who can be an acquired taste, but so can many world dealers be a bit prickly. 

...did u mean p****(ly)?...yes ive known him for many years, im just hoping that some of the main european  dealers show up or at least send representatives to set up n the show takes roots...hopefully making it possible to get the international show out of that cesspool they call new york...i guess we shall know in bout two weeks time...thanks for ur update....

Edited by zadok

On 10/5/2023 at 5:15 PM, zadok said:

...did u mean p****(ly)?...yes ive known him for many years, im just hoping that some of the main european  dealers show up or at least send representatives to set up n the show takes roots...hopefully making it possible to get the international show out of that cesspool they call new york...i guess we shall know in bout two weeks time...thanks for ur update....

There is a decent chance of success. Remember, for a few years back when my feet didn’t hurt so bad, there was a Nashville Whitman show. It’s a cool coin town. I am a volunteer for the show. Success for a southeast show trumps my “mixed” feelings about the Colonel personally. Heck, for 13 years in Harrisburg, I worked for politicians of the OPPOSITE political party from my own. Professionalism sometimes requires putting one’s feelings aside. 

On 10/5/2023 at 5:15 PM, zadok said:

....hopefully making it possible to get the international show out of that cesspool they call new york....

Viewer discretion advised...

Curley of The Three Stooges:  "Da noive uh dat guy! 

🐓:  Well, they did bust three fentanyl drug mills up in the Bronx; gave the guy who shot up the subways 10 life sentences, and caught that guy in that senseless bus stop slaying in record time.

Q.A.:  Valid points all, but none of these guys have ever even been to the really bad parts of the city! They scurry in and out.  I don't how they can all get a good nite's sleep without all the boom-box radios, the pulsating bass-line rap, flashing lights, screeching cars, sirens from prowl cars, gronks from fire engines and the never-ending nocturnal procession of ambulances racing here and there attending to the gunfire and collateral damage resulting from all the mayhem.  🤣

On 10/5/2023 at 1:04 PM, zadok said:

I talked to a few when the show was first announced and they said that they were not going to it, but things change so I will have to pulse them again. They did seem interested in the show, however. Good project for this morning.

On 10/6/2023 at 9:52 AM, Zebo said:

I talked to a few when the show was first announced and they said that they were not going to it, but things change so I will have to pulse them again. They did seem interested in the show, however. Good project for this morning.

...its a catch 22, they want to wait n see how it goes n it only goes if they dont wait n go...US needs a centrally located international show that is located in a safe, secure locale where thugs r given the treatment they deserve n the community is receptive to the hobby...plus the area is getting a new international airport in near future...presently there is no US based international effort to advance the hobby....

I think the majority of them are in the wait and see mode. No positive responses yet - still waiting on a couple to answer.  I’ll have to check out their website - maybe they have an dealer list.

On 10/4/2023 at 6:34 PM, VKurtB said:

.... I could buy a house in the U.K., but three months is the longest I can stay at a clip. If I overstay my visa, I GO TO PRISON....

FWIW... Until 2010, the cost of renouncing one's U.S. citizenship was $00.00.  In 2015, the fee rose to $2,300 £ 2,394) (€2,245).  Movement is now afoot in a Federal disrict court here to reduce that to $450 (€429) which is higher than that of a few other countries. Examples: U.K. £372 (€429)  ITALY (€200)  CANADA CAN $100 (€70) and SINGAPORE S $35 (€24).  So, you see, you can have your cake and eat it too. In the meantime I will affect my best Clifton Webb demeanor (you remember, Waldo Lydecker, in Laura (1944) and in the absence of roadside stands, and the like, give you a hand with your metal detecting skills.  🤣

On 10/7/2023 at 12:17 PM, Henri Charriere said:

FWIW... Until 2010, the cost of renouncing one's U.S. citizenship was $00.00.  In 2015, the fee rose to $2,300 £ 2,394) (€2,245).  Movement is now afoot in a Federal disrict court here to reduce that to $450 (€429) which is higher than that of a few other countries. Examples: U.K. £372 (€429)  ITALY (€200)  CANADA CAN $100 (€70) and SINGAPORE S $35 (€24).  So, you see, you can have your cake and eat it too. In the meantime I will affect my best Clifton Webb demeanor (you remember, Waldo Lydecker, in Laura (1944) and in the absence of roadside stands, and the like, give you a hand with your metal detecting skills.  🤣

The difficulty is not renouncing one’s U.S. citizenship, should one be so inclined, it is in attaining sufficient “points” to get a U.K. resident card. Except for entertainers and the fabulously wealthy, it is just nearly impossible for a U.S. citizen to obtain a U.K. residency card. I’ve studied it. 

On 10/5/2023 at 10:32 AM, VKurtB said:

I’ve never found anywhere with more people who practice what used to be considered common courtesy than in Alabama, UNLESS you have the temerity to suggest, as I do, that SEC football ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. LOL!

Sounds like here where I live.  Everyone is very friendly and use "sir" and "mam" to everyone.  

On 10/9/2023 at 6:44 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Sounds like here where I live.  Everyone is very friendly and use "sir" and "mam" to everyone.  

...sometimes its diff to tell the diff, im searching for a word to use thats always correct...so far all ive got is..."hey u"....

On 10/9/2023 at 10:18 AM, zadok said:

...sometimes its diff to tell the diff, im searching for a word to use thats always correct...so far all ive got is..."hey u"....

...fwiw..." 'ey, yo' " is universally accepted, inside or outside, some of the more marginal 'hoods of new york city in places you wouldn't want to wake up dead in...it is my understanding "yo" has an entirely different etymological derivation and application in baltimore for reasons one researcher studying the matter has been unable to get to the bottom of...