• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at my 1970 D penny I cant tell if it's valuable
2 2

6 posts in this topic

I just started really looking at coins. I was looking and noticed via YouTube that a 1970 D penny sold for alot. I'm going to upload the pics can someone tell me what exactly I need to look for 

Picture_20230917065658.jpg

Picture_20230917065459.jpg

Edited by Emily101
Missed a word

Hi and welcome to the site. 

You can't trust YouTube when it comes to coins. The coin you have is only worth face value. Some coins are worth strong prices but your's is really common and easy to come by. 

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting nice, large, cropped photos, it makes it so much easier to answer questions with good photos.   Unfortunately, the answer to your question is that your coin is worth only its value in copper, there is nothing special about your coin.

I would caution you to be wary of much of what you see/hear on you tube, there is some good content posted there about coins but the vast majority is bull squirt just designed to get clicks and likes.   If you would link the content that you found that lead you to think this might be valuable we may be able to unravel the real content from the hype.   Many of the get rich quick you tube sites use a bit of fact and then embellish that with lots of hype.

Looking at auction records the highest price I see paid for a 1970-D Lincoln cent was in 2016.   The price paid was just over $2,800.00 but that was for the highest graded uncirculated coin on record.   Many of those you tube sites hype the thought that it is always possible to find something in your change or "penny jar".   But the fact is that while possible, the odds are better of winning the lottery than finding valuable coins in your change.   Most that hunt through change or rolls from the bank know what to look for and even then they know the odds are against them.

Edited by Coinbuf

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

As others have stated, your circulated 1970-D cent has no collector value. The internet contains a great deal of misleading and incomplete information about coins as well as other topics.

The Denver mint issued nearly 2.9 billion 1970-D cents. Millions still exist in uncirculated condition, with original mint color, and most of these would be worth no more than a few dollars even if graded and encapsulated by a third-party grading service such as NGC or PCGS at a cost higher than that value. The only ones that would have substantial value would be pieces that such a grading service has given an extremely high grade for a coin issued for circulation, such as MS 67 RD. It is also possible that the coin you read about was a major mint error, in which case its date and mint would have little relevance. 

For accurate information about coins see the print and online resources described in the lead post in the following topic. The "Redbook" referred to in that post is an indispensable resource for anyone interested in U.S. coins.

Edited by Sandon

Hello and weolcome!

You need to look for a coin that is high quality and rich in red color. Please stop watching YouTube videos unless they are made by ANACS, ANA, or the US Mint or US Treasury. Anything else on there is bogus and is going to be misleading. Anyone can make a video and post it to YouTube. 99% of the coin videos are not made by anyone who is either an expert or an authority in numismatics.

Your cent is worth $0.01 as a well circulated cent. The following pic is from NGC CoinExplorer and what you would be looking for. Something of this quality will not be found in pocket or cash register change.

2718362-028o.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

NOTE:  Some may find the following content to be in poor taste or downright insulting, hence...

...VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED!

The initial pictorial presentation depicts a well-known historical event which appears to breach the bounds of good taste, respect and common decency.

Its appearance appears to be a take-off on the single frame of the Zapruder film which captured the moment a projectile met President Kennedy's head nearly a century later. The only problem here is an exit wound is depicted aggravated by the fact the trajectory as established by extensive footage, eyewitness reports and autopsy reports which are still classified and under seal -- is wrong.

If you are new to the hobby -- welcome!  You may want to get yourself the latest copy of the "Red Book" and familiarize yourself with coinage history from Colonial times to the present.  While there is no right way or wrong way to collecting, your eyes may inevitably be drawn to a coin whose design appeals to you. For some, this is a life-long pursuit. Familiarize yourself with the various forums, read the questions and comments and feel free to ask any questions you may have at any time. In due time, you will get to know the members many of whom are quite knowledgeable, temperamental and opinionated.  Congratulations on taking that first step!