• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Like Ike .
2 2

49 posts in this topic

I went to the local coin shop and looked through dozens of Ike's. I think it was the 1971 blue envelope one had actual fingerprints on the coin itself. i could not find a good one. Got a red envelope one here but it has some damage to it. The best ones are the 1977 and 1978 proof coins. The uncirculated sets seemed to all have this damage to the chin. The brown boxes all didn't look good where I was at. 

DSC01802.JPG

DSC01807.JPG

On 9/21/2023 at 3:10 PM, J P M said:

I am not a big fan of the Ike's just because it is hard to find nice ones.

Even in this thread, there is a relative disdain for these visible from some of the members here. That is why these never became big dollar collector coins (unless they ARE in fantastic shape). Makes it easy to complete a set unless you want to go the tough route to make a top registry set.

On a side note, @J P M, I see there are 60+ mph winds headed your way. Be careful there!

On a side note, it appears every attempt to produce an acceptable substitute for the one-dollar bill, which lasts only 18 months, failed miserably.  The Suzie B's and Sacajaweas, just didn't cut it.  Way too close to a quarter-dollar in size. No one could quite get used to the idea that the smaller dollar coins were twice the face value of the larger half dollars. The Ikes were simply unattractive and too bulky. My solution, radical but practical, would have been to dispense with the halves altogether and introduce the Kennedys in 1964 as dollars. I guess it's too late now which is a shame because the Kennedys are the best-looking coins out there right now. IMHO.

On 9/21/2023 at 11:31 PM, powermad5000 said:

Even in this thread, there is a relative disdain for these visible from some of the members here. That is why these never became big dollar collector coins (unless they ARE in fantastic shape). Makes it easy to complete a set unless you want to go the tough route to make a top registry set.

On a side note, @J P M, I see there are 60+ mph winds headed your way. Be careful there!

I will keep a look out thanks. I was born on this sand bar and 40 to 60 mph winds are a normal part of the weather here we call them gale force winds. Then we have the NorEaster in the fall and winter and that is the same as a hurricane. 

On 9/22/2023 at 6:31 AM, J P M said:

here we call them gale force winds.

Yes. I am a weather geek as well. I believe gale warning is two red pennant flags. Do you put up flags where you are at? I am such a weather geek, I put up flags on my garage for my fire pit. The yellow/orange/red for dryness related to fire danger and winds and weather conditions. I am also a certified storm chaser. I go to "storm school" every other year to keep current which is taught by professors and professional storm chasers.

On 9/22/2023 at 4:19 PM, powermad5000 said:

Yes. I am a weather geek as well. I believe gale warning is two red pennant flags. Do you put up flags where you are at? I am such a weather geek, I put up flags on my garage for my fire pit. The yellow/orange/red for dryness related to fire danger and winds and weather conditions. I am also a certified storm chaser. I go to "storm school" every other year to keep current which is taught by professors and professional storm chasers.

In the days before the Weather Channel people did raise flags, now only the harbors and cove's raise flags. Oh and the Coast guard stations always every day.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:56 AM, powermad5000 said:

You might be able to find some nice ones on eBay for a fair price. It is not a popular coin amongst collectors.

Price has really moved up for select coins though, right ?  I recall a few articles on forums or in the GreySheet talking about how prices have skyrocketed.

On 9/23/2023 at 1:16 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Price has really moved up for select coins though, right ?  I recall a few articles on forums or in the GreySheet talking about how prices have skyrocketed.

Imho prices have skyrocketed on just about everything. I have seen some auctions on eBay go well over price guide prices in some series (especially Morgans) for grades between MS 62 - MS65. I get that the price guides are not constantly updated and also that there are a lot of coins sold that are not reported (as well as eye appeal factors) so the price guides can be adjusted accordingly, but before the pandemic, the price guide figures were typically never met in most auctions or direct sales. The trend has continued for buyers paying prices over premium. Some have come back down to reasonable levels, but people seem to continue to pay top dollar especially for coins near top pop.

As I stated before, in the Ike series, if someone is not chasing coins with grades above MS 66 or PF 67, a full set can be put together for some reasonable prices with some patient and astute searching across several platforms and dealers.

What was the last Ike silver dollar? Is it the 1976 Ike? I'd like to build a full set of ike's. I don't own any graded coins. The proof Ike's are easy to get in mint shape. the ones in the hard case. 1976 1977 and 1978. 1971 1972 1973 & 1974 that come in blue envelope seem lots harder to get in mint shape. The coin comes in the uncirculated sets of 1977 and 1978. I think it comes in the 1975 set as well but in 1976 date as well as the 1976 uncirculated. The price of these in ms63 vs ms65 is enormous. Is the Ike in the uncirculated sets of 1971 1972 1973 and 1974? 

On 9/24/2023 at 3:32 PM, edhalbrook said:

What was the last Ike silver dollar?

The last silver clad issue is the 1976. Copper-nickel clad pieces were made for circulation at both Philadelphia and Denver and as proofs at San Francisco in both 1977 and 1978 with the original design. (See the "Redbook".)

1971 1972 1973 & 1974 that come in blue envelope seem lots harder to get in mint shape.

All of the silver clad coins in the blue envelopes are in "mint shape" in the sense that they are uncirculated. They didn't receive the special handling that proofs did and were allowed to hit each other as they fell from the press and then may have been in contact with each other in bags until they were packaged in the plastic sheets. Therefore, they tend to have noticeable abrasions and  bagmarks and receive lower numerical grades at grading services.  The 1972-S silver clad uncirculated coins tend to be the best quality and the 1971-S the worst.

The coin comes in the uncirculated sets of 1977 and 1978. I think it comes in the 1975 set as well but in 1976 date as well as the 1976 uncirculated. The price of these in ms63 vs ms65 is enormous. Is the Ike in the uncirculated sets of 1971 1972 1973 and 1974? 

Uncirculated coin ("mint") sets of 1971 and 1972 didn't contain Eisenhower dollars. Dealers and collectors obtained them as single coins, rolls and mint bags from banks.  Mint sets of 1973-78 included the Philadelphia and Denver mint circulation issues. The 1973 "P" and "D" coins were only issued in the mint sets. All of the 1976 dated Bicentennial Eisenhower dollars in the 1975 mint sets are "Variety 1", while all of those in the 1976 mint sets are "Variety 2".  

In the red book it lists 1776 - 1976 S two of them silver clad. Both variety 1 Is this the red envelope vs the red box? One uncirculated and one proof? Also is there just one kind of red box? JPM has a picture of his box. For some reason I thought that the red box was smaller then shown here. MS 65 always means uncirculated and PF 65 means mirror like right?  

One more thing how can you get a MS 1971 1972 clad? Also if you want all the 1973 Ike's you need the blue envelope and the black case proof set and also the PD sets of uncirculated . 

@edhalbrook--All of the 1976-S silver clad pieces are Variety 1, and they were issued both as uncirculated sets in soft plastic sheets inside an envelope that was usually red and as proofs sets with the individual coins in removeable hard plastic capsules housed in a folding holder as shown in @J P M's photo earlier in this topic. The mint issued some of the uncirculated sets in a Christmas themed envelope (white with red printing) depicting Independence Hall, and there may have been some other variants. The uncirculated set also came with a cardboard display folder into which one could insert the soft plastic sheet containing the coins. Regular 1975 proof sets contained copper-nickel clad Variety 1 proof Bicentennial Eisenhower dollars, while regular 1976 proof sets contained copper-nickel clad Variety 2 proof Bicentennial Eisenhower dollars.

1971 and 1972 circulation issue Eisenhower dollars are extremely common and should be obtainable at coin shows and shops. The 1972 Philadelphia issue has three reverse variants, one of which, the Variety 2, is considered scarce. Yes, the 1973 issues all came in the various collectors' sets, but some have been removed from those sets and are sold as individual coins.

I picked up four Ike's today. The 1976 Uncirculated pack of P & D. (The 1975 ones did not look good). The Ikie's here have their flaws. All the P's they had for this set have been toned. But the D's are all normal. In the P pack the Half, Quarter and Nickel are all toned. They had about a dozen or so of these in the store and all had the same tone on the P's but not on the D's.  

On the black case S set... These are the clad ones right? This is variety 2. The black case 1975 Proof should have the variety 1. 

Also picked up the 3 coin silver set in little box. 

Picture of Red Envelope one. In total there is eight 1976 Ike's right? Counting the 4 four shown here plus the red envelope one. That's 5. Six and seven are in the 1975 Uncirculated and eight in the black case 1975 proof. 

20230926_204929.jpg

20230926_204916.jpg

20230926_203806.jpg

20230926_203910.jpg

20230926_210754.jpg

On 9/30/2023 at 4:10 PM, edhalbrook said:

Do you need the brown box Ike's to have a complete set? As far as the varieties go. 

The silver clad proof Eisenhower dollars dated from 1971 to 1974 that were issued in the brown boxes aren't regarded as "varieties" and are generally considered to be part of the standard 32-piece set that doesn't include the 1972 reverse variants. Modern collectors regard proofs as separate issues from their circulation quality counterparts. However, you can define your collection by your own tastes. You don't have to buy what you don't want.