• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit Canada Superman Coins: 50 cent carded CLAD with stamp, 2014 $10, 2013 & 2014 $15, & 2014 $20 .999 Silver plus 2014 $100 Gold
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I was recently offered this grouping of counterfeit Canadian Superman coins that I presume are of Chinese origin. At a glance they looked very good but on closer examination the devices are not crisp and consistent with RCM quality. The weights are light 1 to 2 Grams so I assume they are not the correct dimensions either. Redundantly, all coins (except carded 50c stamp set) fail Sigma Metalytics resistance and conductivity test.

* As a side note, recently, I have noticed a spike in counterfeit coins being offered. In the last couple months I have seen: the above lot, a Gold clad Tungsten counterfeit Maple Leaf with scratches that looked, weighed, and measured genuine but failed Sigma testing, 2 Kilo Pandas that were too thick but weighed nearly correct, and the typical Chinese Dollars

IMG_7125.jpeg

Welcome to the Chat Board

First clue is that the gold coin should be smaller than the silver coins.  
There are also markers on the other coins that indicate they are counterfeit.

You do know that it is illegal to buy or sell counterfeit coins.  
In Canada it is even illegal to own them.

Hello!

It is good that you seem to know what things to look for to spot counterfeits. Good job!
The Chinese will counterfeit anything and the amounts of counterfeits over the years has increased exponentially as well as the specific coins targeted. Today's counterfeits are targeting more than just highly rare coins. And they are flooding into bullion markets as well.

As @Greenstang has warned, assuming you live in Canada, you will need to dispose of these fakes. Only you know where you acquired them from. Might be a place to stay away from and stay away from trouble.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:55 PM, t.e.merritte said:

My post here is simply an attempt to help others who may not have the experience or equipment to detect counterfeits. Simply a reference to the occurrence of specific counterfeits in the marketplace, a sort of heads up.

Thank you! The hobby needs as much of this as possible!