• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

regrades
2 2

5 posts in this topic

Although SEGS, which I understand was until a few years ago owned and operated by dealer Larry Briggs, is generally regarded as a legitimate grading service, it has never had the reputation or market acceptance of either NGC and PCGS, the "top tier" grading services, or of ANACS and ICG, the "second tier" grading services.

NGC would treat the submission of coins in SEGS holders as though the coins had never been third-party graded, and you would have to make your own judgment as to whether NGC would likely award them similar grades and whether they would be worth the cost of submission even if they achieve the same or higher grades. There is also the risk that the coins could be damaged while being removed from their current holders, whether by you or NGC.  The NGC "Consent to Remove Coins from Holders" form provides that NGC will not have liability for such damage.  Especially, if your SEGS graded coins are relatively low value modern coins or coins whose value is largely related to their precious metal value, I would not consider the expense and risk of having them "regraded" worthwhile in any event.

I will add that unless you are wanting to sell the coins or want them into NGC plastic for a registry set there is no good reason to attempt to cross.   Larry Briggs is considered a very good grader, however the market has always been suspect of dealer run grading companies, with good reason.   As I said if you want to sell the coins, and depending on what the coins are, it may be worth the cost to cross to make the coins more attractive to potential buyers.   As Sandon wrote modern coins and NLCT are not going to be worth the cost to change the plastic, and SEGS slabs are some of the hardest to crack, those buggers are made to last.

On 9/12/2023 at 3:05 PM, Roy Winters said:

i have some coins i picked up that were graded pf 69 and MS67 but there were graded by Segs.  Is it worth sending it to NGC for regrade or is SEGS pretty reliable?

No, not even a little bit. LOOKIT! There’s NGC, there’s SGCP (backward), and soon there will be a significant number of the new CACG. EVERYTHING ELSE IS SOMETHING LESS. 

Edited by VKurtB