• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big dent
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Please post photos of the reverse of the coin as well as the obverse. Additionally, please crop your photos so that they are almost entirely of the coin instead of the surface upon which it sits. Several of the photos are too blurry to be of any use.

Based on what I can see so far, this 1994-D dime appears to have been damaged by its being punched by a hard object it after it was struck and not a mint error.

That looks like it was possibly hit with a drop in set tool which is basically a metal punch. While you did not provide us with a photo of the reverse, I am sure that the damage transferred to the reverse as a large bump and the coin no longer sits flat when put face up. Post mint damage.

On 9/10/2023 at 4:42 PM, RWB said:

The OP is correct. There's nothing in the coining process that would make the "big dent." Now, what's the next logical step?

A ball peen hammer would do it methinks

There's nothing in the coining process that would make the "big dent."

Agreed

Now, what's the next logical step?

That it's not an error. ;)

On 9/17/2023 at 7:12 AM, Moxie15 said:

A ball peen hammer would do it methinks

Methinks you're right.  The diameter is small; edge of the concave crater is defined but not sharply...

Psychaitrist:  "This is latent, passive-aggressive behavior! Where did you find this?"

C.O.:  Inside Sirhan's cell.

Psychaitrist:  "Why wasn't this brought to my attention sooner?"

C.O.  "It was too late."

Psychaitrist:  "HOW'S THAT???"

C.O.  "He's gone... Parole said, 'Denied." Gov. Newsome (California) said, "No." The Appellate Court said, "No." The S.Ct. reversed the decision on appeal: "Granted." Gov. Newsome was beside himself with joy:  "t'wasn't I who released him.  It was completely out of my hands."

Moral: Forget carry-permits.  Beware of strangers bearing ball-peen hammers.

To Moderators:  Feel free to delete, anytime, at will.

It would be cool to see an image of the reverse, not that it matters. We know it's damage from something after it left the mint. I can think of several tool or ways to create this look. We will never know for sure.