• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does NGC charge VarietyPlus if it is determined there is no VAM on the coin?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

How much does NGC charge VarietyPlus if it is determined there is no VAM on the coin?  Does it still charge the full amount of $18 or will it charge a partial (like PCGS) or does it not charge at all?

For instance, if I asked for VarietyPlus for 10 Morgans and none of them receive a VAM designation by the end of grading, do I still pay the $180 fee or does NGC charge a partial fee or none at all?

Thank you.

• Administrator

Hello @cpfirme3

Thank you for reaching out to us. If you select VarietyPlus service, the fee is charged for the evaluation regardless of the outcome. I suggest reviewing the VariertyPlus resource online to check if NGC recognizes your coin's variety: NGC Coins | VarietyPlus. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

On 9/10/2023 at 10:27 AM, cpfirme3 said:

I see, so if I order the VarietyPlus service, when it comes time for grading, if the grader determins there is NO variety, I am still charged $18 for the VarietyPlus service?

Whether or not your coin is a variety is not determined by the coin grader. It is my understanding that the coin is sent to a separate person for variety identification. (That person would have been the renowned expert David Lange, before his recent untimely passing.) As Coinbuf stated in another post, you are paying to have this variety expert look at and evaluate your coin, which is a totally different operation than grading. $18 is really a small price to pay an expert for their opinion, even if you aren't happy with the outcome.

On 9/10/2023 at 9:42 AM, Just Bob said:

Whether or not your coin is a variety is not determined by the coin grader. It is my understanding that the coin is sent to a separate person for variety identification. (That person would have been the renowned expert David Lange, before his recent untimely passing.) As Coinbuf stated in another post, you are paying to have this variety expert look at and evaluate your coin, which is a totally different operation than grading. $18 is really a small price to pay an expert for their opinion, even if you aren't happy with the outcome.

Wow, I just read about David Lange in https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/11191/david-lange-memoriam/.   Big shoes to fill!  So sad it just happened early this year.  Those books look interesting, will take a longer look at them.  Do you know who's replaced him?

On 9/10/2023 at 11:27 AM, cpfirme3 said:

I see, so if I order the VarietyPlus service, when it comes time for grading, if the grader determins there is NO variety, I am still charged $18 for the VarietyPlus service?

From my personal experiences about asking for a new variety attribution (followed NGC's email about what to say on the submission form) they will charge you the VP fee and whatever level you submitted it for.  They basically took my money and sent my coin back to me in under a week.  

On 9/11/2023 at 2:28 AM, cpfirme3 said:

Are you aware if Bulk Submission also has an option to do VarietyPlus service?  Or is Variety strictly off limits for Bulk submissions?

I know this is an old post but I see this question was not subsequently answered. If I am not mistaken, VarietyPlus is not available for bulk submissions as Bulk is typically many of the same coin (as in submitting a roll of modern nickels per se). To have a bulk submission checked for Variety service would slow down the entire NGC system. It is advisable to self check your bulk submission and pull only those coins which you believe to be of a variety that NGC recognizes on their VarietyPlus page on this site and submit them separately under a different submission number.