• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 D penny
1 1

14 posts in this topic

On 9/7/2023 at 11:46 PM, Melior Invenidiste said:

From 1965-1967 there were no mint marks on Pennies. This is an incredibly rare exception of one specimen.

A corroded and mutilated cent, nothing more. If I was going to take a stab at what the date was I'd say "69, but it's difficult to say with the extensive damage and subpar images.

What is left of the date on this corroded and pitted cent doesn't match that of a 1965, as shown in the photo below from @Coinbuf's registry images.  The image of Lincoln also doesn't appear to match that of a cent from the 1965-67 era, which was more spread out. The lettering is also more distant from the rim than it would be on a 1965.

It's interesting that the OP hasn't shown photos of the reverse. Could this coin be a 1955-D or other pre-1959 Lincoln cent with the wheat stalk reverse?

4892511_Full_Obv.jpg?q=02162023234122

As with every post, I view the coin(s) displayed from the perspective most favorable to the "defendant" absent compelling circumstances suggesting otherwise. Unfortunately, the "People" comprising a limited but notable cross-section of the membership who've weighed in early on at the very outset -- one armed with documentary evidence, have advanced clear and convincing evidence suggesting other than what the OP asserts.  I don't know that a view of the reverse would be a deal-maker, or breaker. The truth is, tho the cent appears to be eligible for Federal Disaster Aid, even that falls far short of the serious consideration any contender deserves absent this one's deplorable state. As painful to state plainly as it may seem, with the loss of metal and irreparably  damaged condition, there is cause to question whether it even continues to retain its face value.

Merely another cry for attention.

Send it to FL for authentication.

Edited by RWB

One possible last-minute reprieve... produce a short video of the coin's reverse pivoting from the obverse, clock-wise on its rim, in one continual motion.  Barring that, I will authorize a substantial sum of money to whomever is currently exercising care, custody and control of the hub used to produce this unique coin before it was abruptly withdrawn from service.  :)

On 9/8/2023 at 11:30 AM, Sandon said:

The image of Lincoln also doesn't appear to match that of a cent from the 1965-67 era, which was more spread out. The lettering is also more distant from the rim than it would be on a 1965.

BINGO, the separation of the letters from the rim and the definition of the bust indicate the coin has to be 1969 or later.

Edited by Conder101

May not be conclusive. The example provided by Sandon, via Coinbuf, lacks a High Wire and simply appears more concise.  A slo-mo revolution on one end, which even my vintage rotary cell is capable of, would solve this mystery once and for all.