• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Quarter for these quarters. . . (p3) - State Quarter with Mint Mark almost invisible
1 1

6 posts in this topic

This is another coin I found that may be a victim of fakery.  It doesn't seem to me to be scratched out.  Is it possible for a person to continuously rub down a MM without impacting the coin?  The coin itself seems decent enough. the second picture at an angle shows what is left of the MM.  Better eyes and more experienced help appreciated to verify authenticity. 

E.2007mt.MM.O.jpg

G.2007mt.MM.O.jpg

LOL, I hear ya, but people are strange...to put it mildly.  Being 15yrs. old, I would assume there were more like this in circulation, but I couldn't find any, so I figured it might be altered.

I think @Mr.Bill347 is correct, your second photo clearly shows the mm.   The mm on the die had gotten filled with some grease or debris and the result is a very lightly impressed mm.   A very common occurrence, it is technically an error but it is so common that there is no real significance to a small struck thru like this.

This is probably a larger area than just the mintmark as you can see a milder effect on the last T in TRUST and the R in DOLLAR. It is still not significant enough to be attributed by a TPG and gives this coin no premium over price guide value. I would keep it in a flip as a conversation piece though as the head on view versus the tilted view is a topic of discussion.