• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help out a new guy
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Im new to the registry and I am looking for help on creating sets for Morgan Dollars. I have multiple coins with different grades of the same year. For example,  I've tried several times to enter 3 different 1880 S coins with different grades and all it is saying is that it replaced the previous coin in the set that I created. I've already made mistakes and I'm trying to do it correctly. Please give some advice on how to do this correctly. 

Thank you

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

You cannot enter more than one coin of the same date and mint (or that otherwise corresponds to a specific slot in the registry set you are trying to create) into the same registry set. You would have to create multiple sets, either in the same or different set categories. Just as a Morgan dollar album would only have one opening for an 1880-S, a date and mint Morgan dollar registry set only has one slot for an 1880-S. If you have coins whose holders include "Top 100" or "Hot 50" VAM die variety designations, there are categories with separate slots for such coins of the same date and mint but different VAM designations. There is also a separate category for San Francisco mint Morgan dollars in which you could use a different 1880-S than in a full date and mint set.  You can also use multiple examples of the same date and mint in one per date or certain other categories of sets shown under the "Morgan dollars" categories, as well as in type sets.

Please note also that you cannot use the same coin in more than one set in the same category.  

Edited by Sandon
added additional examples of available sets

Just to add to what @Sandon wrote, you can create your own custom set where you can list as many examples or duplicates of any coin or specific date/mm.   But in the competitive registry you can only have one coin per slot.   You can if you like rotate the duplicates in a competitive set, but one coin only is visible at a time.  

• Administrator

The good news is too, you can always change it once you get a better hang of what you’re doing. You can also check out how other collectors do their registries and modify it to suit your needs. I’m not brand new but but I’m still learning too. There’s a ton of information out there for sure!