• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending in my first coins
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Sending in some coins that r uncirculated condition.. but because I am new at this if there r errors on any off them that I missed do you all have a option to ware if you find a error can you add to bill? 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The NGC Registry forum is for topics and questions relating to the registry, not for questions regarding submissions of coins to NGC. If you wanted a response from the NGC staff, you should have posted it in the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum. You could also have posted it in the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" forum for better attention from chat board participants.

It appears that NGC will not check or attribute your coins for mint errors unless you so indicate on the Submission Form and pay the error attribution fees as well as grading fees. As NGC states regarding the selection of mint error attribution on the "Services and Fees" page, "NGC examines mint errors and assigns an appropriate designation. Also, choose a grading tier according to coin value and desired turnaround. The Mint Error fee [$18 per coin] applies when requested regardless of whether NGC determines the coin to be a recognized mint error." NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com). (Emphasis added.)  Therefore, unless you are reasonably sure that a specific coin exhibits a mint error of a type that NGC will attribute and of sufficient value to make the fee worthwhile, you should not request this service unless you like wasting money.

I assume that you have adequate coin grading and valuation skills to determine whether your coins have sufficient value to make them worth submitting to a grading service in the first place.

On 9/3/2023 at 11:01 AM, Sandon said:

I assume that you have adequate coin grading and valuation skills to determine whether your coins have sufficient value to make them worth submitting to a grading service in the first place.

You may want to read her other threads before making that assumption, I get the impression that she may not.

• Administrator

Hello @Erin33

Thank you for reaching out to us. Good question. The Mint Error service ($18.00 per coin) will examine your coins for mint errors and provide an error attribution if the coins qualify. If you do not choose this service, your coins will not receive mint error attribution, even if they would otherwise qualify. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

@Erin33, you will need to educate yourself on what mint errors are before you blow a whole ton of money on non error coins. I can only assume you have watched some YouTube hooplah on coins touting all of these errors which are NOT errors. Do NOT watch any YouTube videos regarding the grading or attribution of coinage unless they are made by ANA or ANACS or the Us Mint.

NGC will not check your coins for errors unless you pay the $18 fee PER COIN. This fee is charged whether or not the coin is an error or not once you check off the box for Mint Error. If you do not know which coins are actually errors, you should at a minimum post them to the Newbie section of the forum and ask the members there, but please do some research of the links I have provided here.

The following link is part one of a four part series here on the NGC website to learn mint errors. Also go to error-ref.com for more in depth information on error coins.

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Edited by powermad5000