• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Double Die Obverse
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Unfortunately just die deterioration, examples like this were hawked by some sellers as the "poor mans double die".   Welcome to the forum and better luck next time. (thumbsu

Edited by Coinbuf

Those coins with a very slight shelf doubling most prominent in the last five of the year were referred to as "Poor Man's 1955 DDO", or "Poor Man's Double Die" as was stated by @Coinbuf. You can find literally hundreds of these "poor man's" coins on eBay, and while some are priced appropriately, you will find several sellers with one asking $1000-2000 for them. Only the legitimate 1955 DDO is worth that premium. The "poor man's" version (I am not sure it is even a recognized variety and I do not believe it to be) in excellent condition and red in color is worth about $5. Only the true 1955 DDO that I have provided a photo of from NGC's VarietyPlus page is worth thousands in excellent condition and even brown in color still gets high premiums.

12827-3.jpg

Edited by powermad5000