• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 D Nickel
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Good evening,

please forgive my ignorance  

i found this coin and am wondering if this was caused by damage or is this something that might be a mint error?

IMG_1099.thumb.jpeg.e3aa9c934c89ca25d29be955142d6494.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg

IMG_1094.jpeg

I agree it looks like just PMD ( post mint damage).  Consider that unless you can identify what part of the process at the mint caused the observed condition, which I don't see at all, then it's just plain old PMD.

The following topic has a bunch of refetences on mint errors you can check out if error coins are an interest to you.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary-for-those-posting-questions/

A broadstrike will cause a coin to go out of round because it is struck without the collar, but that is the only thing in the minting process that can distort the actual shape of the coin and make it out of round. The thing is, though, that a broadstruck coin will still retain all of its design elements on both sides of the coin.

The fact that this coin is missing all of the design elements on both sides where the coin becomes out of shape means that it was post mint damage. How some of these things are made can be difficult to identify. Maybe someone put it in a hydraulic press, maybe someone kept hammering away.....either way it is now a damaged coin.