• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991-D Roosevelt Dime this caught me off compared to other dimes I see what do you think?

8 posts in this topic

looks like a very slightly misaligned die (called MAD), not unusual and not an error worth any premium.    While this is somewhat common and indicative of the typical poor quality control at the US mint operations for circulation coinage, it is not out of tolerance.   To have any added value or be considered an error worth note the coin would need to have some portion of the lettering be missing/off the side.

On 8/24/2023 at 4:47 PM, Coinbuf said:

looks like a very slightly misaligned die (called MAD), not unusual and not an error worth any premium.    While this is somewhat common and indicative of the typical poor quality control at the US mint operations for circulation coinage, it is not out of tolerance.   To have any added value or be considered an error worth note the coin would need to have some portion of the lettering be missing/off the side.

Gotcha, was curious. Also isn't it called something when the reeds are in between the rim like a railroad track? Wasn't sure if this was the case as well.

On 8/24/2023 at 2:49 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Gotcha, was curious. Also isn't it called something when the reeds are in between the rim like a railroad track? Wasn't sure if this was the case as well.

I am not aware of any specific term or nomenclature used to describe what you are seeing on the edge.   The coin was struck with late die state dies as evidenced by the heavy/course flow lines you see in the fields radiating from the devices to the rim.   That may have caused the "Railroad track" feature that you see, again not something I have seen or heard a term for, perhaps another member knows more on this.

On 8/24/2023 at 5:04 PM, Coinbuf said:

That may have caused the "Railroad track" feature that you see, again not something I have seen or heard a term for, perhaps another member knows more on this.

Saw this term listed on another forum but I don't know if it is a valid one or not. Doesn't look like it circulated much just a stain or smudge. Atleast it's not a dryer coin 😅

As I recall, a coin with very narrow reading on the edge was sometimes referred to as a "railroad rim" years ago, but this 1991-D dime wouldn't qualify. It seems to be within the norm for a coin made for circulation, whose edge is usually somewhat beveled.

If you look through enough pocket change, you will find many dimes, pennies, and quarters with this same effect. It is not uncommon. Sometimes the dies are misaligned enough that a portion of the coin has the appearance of having "two rims". All of these are within mint tolerance. Off center strikes are not recognized as mint errors until there is a 5% off center strike and even some of those are borderline mint errors. Typically, you won't see a slab designated as a mint error until it has a 10% off center strike.