• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

original or fake? 5c 1835 Capped Bust
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Dear friends, as always, I turn to you for my doubts and questions about American coins.
This coin was offered to me for around 100 euros.
Is it original or fake? I don't have any Capped Bust in my collection for comparison.
thank you!
Miriam, Italy

5cents.png

This 1835 large date, large 5C. Capped Bust half dime (the official name for U.S. silver five cent coins struck from 1794 to 1873) appears to be genuine based on the photos, but in-hand inspection is always important for authentication.  It appears to be a match for die variety LM-3. See Early Half Dimes (1792-1837) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). The coin appears to have About Uncirculated details, but based on the odd gray color the coin may have been "cleaned". In-hand inspection would be necessary to get a better idea of this as well. If genuine and unimpaired, retail list prices for this coin are around $200 in Extremely Fine and $300 in About Uncirculated.

On 8/21/2023 at 1:37 PM, Sandon said:

... but in-hand inspection is always important for authentication

Agreed, you can see more examples of coins besides the Variety Plus ones certified as being genuine in various grades to compare to the coin in-hand by clicking on the "View More Images" in blue just below the first coin shown at the following CoinFacts webpage ... https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1835-h10c-large-date-5c/4282

Edited by EagleRJO

Also, when it comes to questions involving coins being either genuine or counterfeit, in this day and age, some of the fakes can fool even experienced collectors. Things like weights (to two decimal places), size (obtained by high quality calipers to the mm), and metal tests (specific gravity, etc.) come into play. Many times, from photos all we have to go on is a look at the details, fonts, serifs, numerals, rims, denticles, positions of such, etc. which is only the beginning of discerning the genuineness of any coin. Any doubts of the veracity of genuineness of any coin should be looked at by an educated eye with coin in hand to perform such tests.

I believe there is a dealer overseas that is based in Germany if I am not mistaken, Danny Pfeiffer Rare Coins, that could be able to perform such tests without sending the coin overseas.