• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1915 D Penny
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Photos are far too out of focus to give you any accurate grade.   After the better photos I am at VG for a grade, value of $.50 to maybe a dollar. 

Edited by Coinbuf

This coin is not worth grading. Only submit coins that have a raw price guide value of at least $350.00 - $400.00 which covers all the grading fees plus a profit for you when you decide to sell the coin.

I have a question to the OP about this coin. In the two sets of pics, I am wondering if the coin is simply flipped top to bottom as is usual when inspecting US coins when you took the photos? What I am getting at is if so there is a significant enough degree of rotation of the dies to warrant it to be a mint error. From taking my own pic and using the photo editor, I am coming up with a 21 degree rotation. That could affect the coins value (not to $300) but may be a reconsideration to have it graded.

On 8/20/2023 at 3:38 AM, powermad5000 said:

I am wondering if the coin is simply flipped top to bottom as is usual when inspecting US coins when you took the photos?

It doesn't look like the op is flipping the coin over exactly 180 degrees vertically to take the pictures, as the first set would then indicate about a 45 degree die rotation while the second set would indicate about a 20 degree die rotation.

Errors - Die Rotation - Rota-Flip.jpg

On 8/20/2023 at 10:24 AM, RonnieR131 said:

Do you understand what powermad5000 is asking?

Yes I do I think. But it's just a normal penny. When you flip a coin over it should be the right side up. If I post more pics I'll be sure to take them straight on. I was more concerned about getting a clean photo. 

Your 1915-D Lincoln cent appears to exhibit a relatively minor die rotation. There isn't much demand for this type of error, so it would only be worth a small (perhaps a few dollar) premium over the underlying value of the coin. 

Another recent topic concerns a 1970-D quarter that was struck with a full 180-degree (medallic alignment) rotation, but, as we have tried to explain to that poster, even a coin with that degree of rotation, while a nice circulation find, isn't particularly valuable. 

On 8/29/2023 at 10:01 PM, edhalbrook said:

If the coin is more then a 15 degree rotation it's rare?

It is not rare from the standpoint that 22,050,000 were struck in that year from the Denver mint. If it has 15 degrees or more of rotation it is, however, classed as a mint error. Its value is worth more then versus the coin being normally struck. It is not a significantly high premium, but worth more. The thing with error coin values is they are difficult to calculate and the values vary greatly even between auction to auction or buy it now offerings. If two bidders get into a bidding war over a coin (even non error coins), then the sale price can get very high in one auction versus low in another auction where the same type of coin doesn't get too much interest from buyers. Error coin values are also based on demand and the error is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Typically, the more fantastic of an error it is, the more its value will be. Rotated dies are more common on the error spectrum, but say a Lincoln Wheat cent that was struck with rotated dies on a Roosevelt Dime planchet would be worth very high premiums.

Try to be aware when researching potential values on error coins that sites like eBay will show sellers trying to sell a cent in conditions like yours that might have slightly rotated dies for $1000 or more. That is an unrealistic price as the error is simply not worth that much and those sellers are fraudulently looking to rip off some unwitting new collector with an error that is more common amongst error coins.

Even in the shape it is in, on an eBay auction I would say in the range of $10-20. Would be harder to get to the $20 without the coin being in a holder though. Unfortunately, you would not be able to recover the grading fees. If you are putting the coin back into your album, you can at least make a note in the album that it is an error.

On 8/31/2023 at 9:51 AM, powermad5000 said:

Even in the shape it is in, on an eBay auction I would say in the range of $10-20. Would be harder to get to the $20 without the coin being in a holder though. Unfortunately, you would not be able to recover the grading fees. If you are putting the coin back into your album, you can at least make a note in the album that it is an error.

I think you are jumping the gun here powermad, we don't know that this coin has any rotational error at all, post from the op: "Yes I do I think. But it's just a normal penny. When you flip a coin over it should be the right side up. If I post more pics I'll be sure to take them straight on. I was more concerned about getting a clean photo."   The op has not posted any further photos to confirm or deny if there is any rotation striking error, he described it as a normal coin.

On 8/31/2023 at 12:00 PM, Coinbuf said:

I think you are jumping the gun here powermad, we don't know that this coin has any rotational error at all, post from the op: "Yes I do I think. But it's just a normal penny. When you flip a coin over it should be the right side up. If I post more pics I'll be sure to take them straight on. I was more concerned about getting a clean photo."   The op has not posted any further photos to confirm or deny if there is any rotation striking error, he described it as a normal coin.

Agreed. I guess I am trying to be optimistic. Maybe a little too much....

A very worn Good condition. Worth very little -- maybe, 10 or 25 cents at most. Would the OP want to spend $50 to have this authenticated and graded? I sure hope not!

Edited by RWB

On 8/19/2023 at 7:26 PM, edhalbrook said:

... this 1915 D Penny? Worth grade? 

You would lose money submitting it for grading, which would cost around $80 for just that coin.

On 9/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, edhalbrook said:

Does this even make a G4? 

It's very difficult to assign a number grade just from pics which are not even high resolution.  You could go to CoinFacts - 1C Lincoln Wheat Reverse and look for various G graded 1C coins around that date to compare with the coin in-hand, but I think it's a time waste and would just put it in a flip or album, with any rotation over 15 degrees noted, and call it "Good".  ;)

On 9/2/2023 at 5:42 PM, edhalbrook said:

I don't think I ever checked for any errors. Are they not close to impossible to find? 

Significant mint errors are rarely found in circulation. If you are lucky enough to find one, you are likely to notice it at a glance.  To see what the various types of errors look like, see the following:   

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 4 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com) and other topics that are shown when "mint errors" is entered in the search bar on the NGC home page.

For a comprehensive listing and description of mint errors, see error-ref.com.