• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The More I read about 1982 pennies the more confused I get
1 1

21 posts in this topic

The more I read about 1982 pennies the more confused I get. I read million posts here on the subject. 

This is a good site on it. http://lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1982.html

But I can't really see any difference. I'm trying to fill in my book of pennies and I could use some help. 

The large D Copper coin is impossible so forget it  I don't go through my coins and look for errors much at all. The D over S from the 1940's and 1950's look interesting but I haven't looked for those either. 

These first copper pennies must be all small date D in the pictures

20230819_111906.jpg

20230819_111902.jpg

20230819_111844.jpg

Pay close attention to the shape of the 2 and the distance of the 2 from the rim, then it's easy.  On a small date there is room enough between the 2 and the rim for another 2.

I've never had much difficulty distinguishing the so-called "large date" and "small date" 1982 varieties. They were made from different master dies, so the lettering and characteristics of Lincoln's profile are different, as well as the date. The following graphic provided by @EagleRJO shows a number of the differences:

1982 Lincoln Cent Infographic.jpg

Another clue that I use is the INSIDE of the loops of the 8.  On the large date the inside of the upper loop is just about the same size as the inside of the lower loop.  On the small date the INSIDE of the upper loop is about HALF the size of the inside of the lower loop.