• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 D Trying to Learn Photos
1 1

23 posts in this topic

I have been collecting coins on and off since the 60s, but have never attempted taking photos for the internet. This 1974 D is quite shinny and has been difficult to get a picture without glare, probably cheap phone? In looking at the coin under the scope there appears to be what looks like a bottle and book on top of the bay with Lincoln sitting? I can try and post an up close photo, but am looking for feedback on quality.

TIA

1974d.JPG

1974.JPG

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

It can be difficult to photograph uncirculated or proof coins or coins in plastic holders due to the glare that shines back from the coin and/or the holder. You need to use lighting that comes from an angle, such as from a desk lamp, instead of from directly overhead. You also need to improve the focus and clarity of your photos. This may require experimentation, editing and possibly better equipment.

I don't see anything above the statue of Lincoln other than what appears to be a nick. What you claim to see can't be created during the minting process.

I happen to have a photo of an uncirculated (MS 65RD) 1974-D cent in an NGC holder, which I took with an inexpensive digital microscope. My photos aren't of professional quality either, but they do show the clarity that amateurs like us can achieve with relative ease:

1974-Dcentobv..thumb.jpg.17f2da6896b7b1118d8f7cddf0b1272e.jpg

1974-Dcentrev.thumb.jpg.b179783ca8e3539d82ab25981df6b7d2.jpg

If your coin is "shiny" and it is not a proof coin, it was probably cleaned or polished. Despite the low quality of your photos, it does appear that your coin has a level of wear present, especially in the memorial on the reverse. It looks like there is a lack of detail in the steps as well as the vertical lines that are supposed to be in the columns. Between wear, and a cleaning or polishing it would have face value.

As far as your photo taking goes, we all have issues with taking good coin photos. Not sure why yours are so blurry but maybe you are taking the photo too close. Back off the camera lens and use digital editing to crop out the remaining background. Proper lighting is very important in terms of overall brightness, color (fluorescent vs warm light vs natural light). Also, the angle the light is hitting the coin surface is important as the angle can reflect too much light back at the lens and wash out some of the details of a coin in a photo. In addition, the camera comes into play. My Pixel 3 took much better coin pictures that were clear and looked natural. My now Pixel 6 seems to "try too hard" to get clear, crisp images and the coins look unnatural.  It can take a lot of tries by establishing using one camera that produces the better results and then changing lighting, distances, and even backgrounds.

Edited by powermad5000

Getting good photos of coins can be quite challenging and a skill that I do not possess.   Most modern cell phones have the ability to take very good photos so if that is what you are using keep trying.   I would also suggest that you do a search of the US coin section of this forum as there are several old threads on the subject of coin photography including some tips for cameras and cell phones.   As I said I am a terrible photographer so I have used some of the professional coin photographers in the past if you can get even close to a picture like this that was taken for me by Mark Goodman, you are doing it right.

1909Sccomp.jpg

On 8/18/2023 at 11:18 PM, auminer said:

Still comes out blurry ... I'll keep trying.

Try resting your arm on something, like a stack of books, with the phone about 4 to 6 inches away from the coin.

You also need good lighting like a swing arm lamp with a 100W bulb at an angle to the coin.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/20/2023 at 12:32 AM, EagleRJO said:

a swing arm lamp with a 100W bulb

The Federal gummint will soon be looking for your hide. Using 100W incandescent bulbs be makin' you a climate change crinimal.

On 8/22/2023 at 1:18 PM, VKurtB said:

The Federal gummint will soon be looking for your hide. Using 100W incandescent bulbs be makin' you a climate change crinimal.

I didn't say incandescent, for which existing stock is likely out by now, but we both know which is better for coins. (:

On 8/22/2023 at 1:25 PM, EagleRJO said:

I didn't say incandescent, for which existing stock is likely out by now, but we both know which is better for coins. (:

I'd rather just be a climate change criminal.

@VKurtB I think you can still buy 100W incandescent "rough service" bulbs for when my existing stock runs out, but they are super expensive.

And I think it was @J P M that pointed out most lamps are not rated for 100W incandescent, so I guess that also makes us fire bugs.  🔥  :insane:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/22/2023 at 1:31 PM, EagleRJO said:

@VKurtB I think you can still buy 100W incandescent "rough service" bulbs for when my existing stock runs out, but they are super expensive.

And I think it was @J P Mthat pointed out most lamps are not rated for 100W incandescent, so I guess that also makes us fire bugs.  🔥  :insane:

There still ARE standards the hobby uses and promulgates for grading coins. It just so happens that the current administration in Washington has made those standards "illegal" in the United States. Third world countries are allowed all the 100W incandescents they want. That's, in a nutshell, why I will NEVER BELIEVE the climate change nuts. John Kerry and Greta Thunberg can kiss my grits.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/22/2023 at 2:37 PM, VKurtB said:

There still ARE standards the hobby uses and promulgates for grading coins. It just so happens that the current administration in Washington has made those standards "illegal" in the United States.

Can't you still legally buy existing stock of the 75W/100W incandescent bulbs?

On 8/22/2023 at 1:41 PM, EagleRJO said:

Can't you still legally buy existing stock of the 75W/100W incandescent bulbs?

Not as of about six weeks ago.

On 8/22/2023 at 2:37 PM, VKurtB said:

There still ARE standards the hobby uses and promulgates for grading coins. It just so happens that the current administration in Washington has made those standards "illegal" in the United States. Third world countries are allowed all the 100W incandescents they want. That's, in a nutshell, why I will NEVER BELIEVE the climate change nuts. John Kerry and Greta Thunberg can kiss my grits.

"Regular, I guess."

"Instant grits?"

The law only states that you can no longer legally manufacture incandescent bulbs. Certain specialty incandescent types are not included in the new law such as ones for inside ranges and refrigerators. Remaining stock can still be sold but most stores just pulled them from shelves altogether. Where they ended up, who knows? Probably on eBay :roflmao:I do know with all of the color options of the LED bulbs, it is not too difficult to recreate the same effect incandescent bulbs gave to a particular room or situation given they can be purchased in similar "wattages". 

And, yes, if you are putting a 100W bulb into a socket that states 60W max, well then expect it at some point to cause a fire. Not worth the risk!

On 8/23/2023 at 7:54 PM, powermad5000 said:

The law only states that you can no longer legally manufacture incandescent bulbs. Certain specialty incandescent types are not included in the new law such as ones for inside ranges and refrigerators. Remaining stock can still be sold but most stores just pulled them from shelves altogether. Where they ended up, who knows? Probably on eBay :roflmao:I do know with all of the color options of the LED bulbs, it is not too difficult to recreate the same effect incandescent bulbs gave to a particular room or situation given they can be purchased in similar "wattages". 

And, yes, if you are putting a 100W bulb into a socket that states 60W max, well then expect it at some point to cause a fire. Not worth the risk!

Ya I am bumming . I use 60W bulbs in the compartments of my Motor home to keep the tanks and pipes from freezing. At 0 degrees outside one 60W bulb will keep the compartment a 40 degrees. I don't think the LED bulb will do the same.

The law only states that you can no longer legally manufacture incandescent bulbs ... Remaining stock can still be sold but most stores just pulled them from shelves altogether

That's my understanding as well, although I am already stocked up from when you could still buy them as I saw that coming.

Certain specialty incandescent types are not included in the new law such as ones for inside ranges and refrigerators.

In a pinch you can also still get "rough service" incandescent bulbs, which I used on job sites.  You can find them for about $1 each, which is not that bad for just one swing-arm lamp for coins ... 100W Rough Service Incandescent Bulbs

On 8/20/2023 at 1:32 AM, EagleRJO said:

Try resting your arm on something, like a stack of books, with the phone about 4 to 6 inches away from the coin.

You also need good lighting like a swing arm lamp with a 100W bulb at an angle to the coin.

@auminer try that and let us know how that works out.  ;)

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/23/2023 at 7:43 PM, J P M said:

Ya I am bumming . I use 60W bulbs in the compartments of my Motor home to keep the tanks and pipes from freezing. At 0 degrees outside one 60W bulb will keep the compartment a 40 degrees. I don't think the LED bulb will do the same.

LED's do get blazingly hot, but the bulbs are designed for household use and of course fire prevention is important so the design helps to not transfer heat to the shell of the bulb. They accomplished this by using very small LED's inside, and just increased the number of them to increase lumens. The tiny LED's do not heat up like the larger ones do. As for your tanks and pipes, you might want to get an electrician to come out and hook up a heat trace on them for the winter. They can size the level of the heat trace to use probably about the same amount of energy as a bulb.

On 8/23/2023 at 7:43 PM, J P M said:

I use 60W bulbs in the compartments of my Motor home

My parents are old school and have a big box of small boxes of 60W incandescents. Probably roughly 40 of them or so. I am waiting to inherit this big box.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:56 PM, powermad5000 said:

LED's do get blazingly hot, but the bulbs are designed for household use and of course fire prevention is important so the design helps to not transfer heat to the shell of the bulb. They accomplished this by using very small LED's inside, and just increased the number of them to increase lumens. The tiny LED's do not heat up like the larger ones do. As for your tanks and pipes, you might want to get an electrician to come out and hook up a heat trace on them for the winter. They can size the level of the heat trace to use probably about the same amount of energy as a bulb.

I am a Electrician LoL . The tanks and pipes are unreachable That is why the bulbs work so well. I may just pick up some flood light bulbs if I cant get some of the old ones. Or just go to warmer weather if it gets to cold up here. Last winter it was colder in the south than Cape Cod.

The last remaining 100w incandescent bulbs are marked, in BOLD LETTERS, “Illegal for sale or use in the United States of America.” Sale or use. “Or use.” Or use. Or use. Or use. Stop giving the m-o-r-o-n-s in Washington a free pass. They have promulgated a ridiculous indefensible policy. That same bulb is perfectly okay in Mexico, or China, or India, or even Canada or France or Germany. But not here in the USA. It’s stupidity on steroids. And YOUR Congresscritter needs to be told so. Mine already knows it and opposed the change. Did yours? Tell them you object. I do. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/23/2023 at 6:25 PM, EagleRJO said:

@auminer try that and let us know how that works out.  ;)

I'll give that a try soon. I did attempt outdoors in indirect sunlight with the same glare issues. Hopefully I can figure it out, I have other coins I'd like to post. Especially two gold coins I found while locating some old mines in the burn area which probably haven't been seen in 50 years due to overgrowth. 1882 ten dollar and 1918 Swiss 20 Franc wrapped up in a cloth inside an old tobacco tin that was buried.

Thank you for all of the advise!