• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1947s die clash
1 1

11 posts in this topic

that is not a die clash... dont waste your money qon getting it graded it is a common wheat cent.  99% of the wheat cent series are not worth getting slabbed with your own money.  

Even if it was a die clash, which it’s not, you would be spending about $60.00 to get it certified
when it would be worth a couple of dollars at the best in that condition.

On 8/18/2023 at 4:33 PM, Kieffer said:

I came across this one and realized it had a die clash of wheat stalk on obverse

As indicated it looks like just damage and not a die clash.  See the attached clash overlay for a 1947 Lincoln cent from Mad Die Clashes and side-by-side comparison showing it's likely not a die clash.

On 8/18/2023 at 5:49 PM, Greenstang said:

... you would be spending about $60.00 to get it certified ...

Probably closer to $100 including shipping to NGC (maybe like $20), $10 handling fee, $23 Tier fee, $18 Error fee, and $28 return shipping for just that coin.  Either way, I agree that even if it was a die clash, which it doesn't appear to be, that wouldn't be worth submitting.

1947 Lincoln Cent Wheat Reverse 1909 – 1958 Die Clash Overlay.jpg

Overlay Compare.jpg

Although even from the very poor photos you've submitted, it doesn't appear that your circulated 1947-S cent exhibits clash marks or any other anomaly created during the minting process, it would have been helpful if you had provided clear, cropped photos of each side of the coin.

Clash marks are quite common on U.S. coins of all eras and types.  NGC has stated that "clash marks must be quite pronounced and unusual to be considered a mint error by NGC." Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Even if your coin displayed clash marks, it would be an unlikely candidate for error attribution.

On 8/19/2023 at 1:59 PM, Kieffer said:

... in this last photo it looks pretty similar to me

Those are the same marks I looked at above which isn't a match.  The marks would need to be in the same general area as shown on the overlay, or rotated slightly.  The wheat stalks are closer to the rim, and it doesn't look like them anyway.

On 8/19/2023 at 1:59 PM, Kieffer said:

in this last photo it looks pretty similar to me

Actually, it's upside down from what the expected orientation of clash marks would be and looks like someone's crude effort to scratch in "graffiti" to make the coin look like a mint error.