• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fake or Genuine? Hong Kong Dollar 1867
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Afternoon all! 

Recently got hold of this 1867 Hong Kong Dollar coin. 

Was hoping to get some opinions on whether it's genuine or not. The weight seems correct and it's not magnetic. 

Weight: 27.08g 

Thanks 

20230818_152240.jpg

20230818_152250.jpg

On 8/18/2023 at 10:41 AM, C. McCarthy said:

Okay, What makes you think that? :)

Just a quick compare to an authentic coin raises suspicions for me: where the point of the bust meets the Q, the fonts - look at the N and 1. I'm not an expert so seek other opinions. To me it looks suspect.

On 8/18/2023 at 3:50 PM, Redline68 said:

Just a quick compare to an authentic coin raises suspicions for me: where the point of the bust meets the Q, the fonts - look at the N and 1. I'm not an expert so seek other opinions. To me it looks suspect.

Oh wow yeah I had never noticed these things. 

The fonts look off and the hair tie at the back looks odd. 

Okay! Thanks for your help! 

I am no expert on these, but your coin screams fake to me. Given there is a level of nearly "perfect" details, the rim to me is a dead giveaway. Coins minted in the 1800's did not usually have perfectly struck rims with a perfectly centered coin. The color seems "off" to me like the coin is cast in probably the wrong metal or a wrong alloy. Also I looked up this coin on Numista and there is a ton of details on the reverse that are just plain wrong. I am giving you the link to what I looked at on Numista. It also has the significant weights and measurements to check your coin against what exists on a genuine specimen. 

1 Dollar - Victoria - Hong Kong – Numista