• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1889 Morgan Dollar Opinion on grade and two raised lines across eagles chest anything else welcome and appreciated

6 posts in this topic

The coin is dated 1889 (common date), not 1899 (scarcer date). The coin has Extremely Fine to About Uncirculated details but based on the photos has a peculiar color that could indicate that it has been "cleaned" or otherwise abused.  It also has a punch mark between the two obverse cotton leaves.  The "two raised lines" on the eagle's breast are scratches. You can see the displaced metal along their sides.

As a generic and somewhat impaired circulated Morgan dollar, it is worth about $25-$30.

On 8/16/2023 at 11:42 AM, Sandon said:

The coin is dated 1889 (common date), not 1899 (scarcer date). The coin has Extremely Fine to About Uncirculated details but based on the photos has a peculiar color that could indicate that it has been "cleaned" or otherwise abused.  It also has a punch mark between the two obverse cotton leaves.  The "two raised lines" on the eagle's breast are scratches. You can see the displaced metal along their sides.

As a generic and somewhat impaired circulated Morgan dollar, it is worth about $25-$30.

Wow I'm putting my hand to my face..I need to make sure I take my time before posting. Knew I should have waited to wake up more. My apologies..how embarrassing! Thank you for what you added Sandon.

One of the things that you must learn to be successful as a collector is how to look at coins. Some defects aren't readily apparent and are sometimes ignored, especially when the coin has other, positive attributes. I have to be careful myself about this after over 50 years of experience. I've missed things and so have top-tier grading services.