• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Four 1982 D copper pennies
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2023 at 10:17 PM, Sandon said:

All four coins are large dates. I'm giving you the correct answer. What would the "right" one be?

According to the late, great Oldhoopster, there is only one answer:  "Go look it up!". Fortunately for you, Sandon (inexplicably a "newbie," consigned to their ranks, or strictly by self-choice) has given you the correct answer.  Next thing you're going to want to know is, How do you tell? Someone coming along will be delighted to tell you... or refer you to the latest "Red Book" for your education and edification or that of others. (This is not my area of expertise, sorry.)

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct typo.

On 8/16/2023 at 7:35 AM, Greenstang said:

This is probably the most asked question on any coin forum.  
If you are looking for a Small Date 1982D copper cent, then the correct answer. 
is don’t waste your time, you won’t find one, spend your energy elsewear.

Im just wondering where so many people are getting the idea that these coins can still be found when truly they are unicorns. I see this question almost every other day and sometimes every day asked on here.  Its mind boggling to see the amount of people who ask if they got the valuable 1982 d small date on almost a daily basis. I know You Tube has several videos getting peoples hopes up making people think they got one in the change bowl on the dresser. TicTock is a big thing now. Every where you look people is Tic Tocking. Even boys where I work. Everytime were trying to work and look up they got their phone in their hand trying to show us work hands, who do work, every little video. Saying , "Watch this, watch this." Very annoying when your trying to do something. Im wondering if the misinformation is getting spread across Tic Tock now reaching a larger audience.  Seems like everywhere you go now peoples Tic Tocking. Anyways I agree with @Greenstang. These coins are not out there to be found. There could be one somewhere but Id rather take my chances on the Powerball. If any newer collectors are reading this dont get your hopes up watching get rich quick of pocket change videos. The reality is its not gonna happen. 

Edited by Hoghead515

I suppose there could be another out there somewhere in somebody's old change jar, the second one was only found a few years ago.  If someone is going to look through hundreds of thousands of coins looking for it though, they will need to learn how to ID them first!

On 8/16/2023 at 4:27 PM, l.cutler said:

I suppose there could be another out there somewhere in somebody's old change jar, the second one was only found a few years ago.  If someone is going to look through hundreds of thousands of coins looking for it though, they will need to learn how to ID them first!

Oh c’mon! That’s no fun. Exuberance requires jumping in with both feet but not a scintilla of knowledge. Knowledge is so “previous century”.

As long as there is a probability, however improbable, likeliness, however unlikely, possibility where all indications over time point to near-impossibility, there are those who will seek and there are those who will find. 

Those are the stories of Carter and King Tut's tomb, Schliemann and the treasures of Troy, Mel Fisher and the Atocha, and those involved in the recovery of the treasures that had gone down with the S.S. CENTRAL AMERICA.  Despite the astronomical odds, some will make it their life's ambition to uncover hoards and buried treasures, and yes, 1982-D small-date Lincoln Head cents. They will not be deterred.

On 9/12/2023 at 9:03 PM, Henri Charriere said:

As long as there is a probability, however improbable, likeliness, however unlikely, possibility where all indications over time point to near-impossibility, there are those who will seek and there are those who will find. 

Those are the stories of Carter and King Tut's tomb, Schliemann and the treasures of Troy, Mel Fisher and the Atocha, and those involved in the recovery of the treasures that had gone down with the S.S. CENTRAL AMERICA.  Despite the astronomical odds, some will make it their life's ambition to uncover hoards and buried treasures, and yes, 1982-D small-date Lincoln Head cents. They will not be deterred.

They NEED to be deterred. Deterring is job one.

On 9/13/2023 at 12:16 AM, VKurtB said:

They NEED to be deterred. Deterring is job one.

Losing proposition.  You'd have a better shot at stopping a tsunami.