• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1956 D quarter
3 3

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell my why its so hard to find a nice looking 1956 D quarter either blast white or attractively toned? Ive been needing this coin for a long time now. Ive searched high and low. Ive found several ms66 and 67 examples but they all been ugly toned. That black toning on most and uneven dirty brown on others.  Ive not had near the trouble with other dates. Ive passed up several really good deals trying to find that perfect 1956 D that suits me. Id really like to find it in lusterous blast white but it seems to be very elusive. Ive been watching several auctions. I did see one ms68 blast white but it was way out of my budget. Seen very few uncertified ones but they would never make the grade Im looking for. Id at least like to have that year in ms66. Id also settle for light golden toning. I just dont understand if they were exposed to something at the mint that year or whats wrong. 

Ive got, "The Complete Guide to Washington Quarters," written by John Feigenbaum but, it never mentions anything about what to look for in that year like a few other coin books do. It just list varities and things like that. Its still a very informative and helpful guide. Im not knocking it or anything.  I was wondering if someone on here had any knowledge about it or knew where I could find that info elsewhere. I got a Franklin Half book that tells how hard it is to find toned coins and other info like that and the reasons why. Its very informative and helpful. But so far I cant find anything like that for Washington quarters and why the 1956 D is so elusive unless you settle for dark and ugly toning. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 8/13/2023 at 3:14 AM, Josh Lemons said:

A new purchase.  I love small coins whether it be size or denomination.  This little quarter real from Guatemala fits both!  A stunner at MS67, I realized while putting it in my inventory it's of the bent leaf variety for the year. Whether that makes it more valuable, I don't know.

Polish_20230813_020719114.thumb.png.dd6bbf3bcd5856faf1f0057cf8361ce5.pngPolish_20230813_020747400.thumb.png.7c12830e6a28c0b335ca79658d7bdcb1.png

...incorrect thread....

Josh Lemons

Please start a new thread when posting about a completely different coin from the original. 
This not only causes confusion, but anyone looking at the headings would not even know   
this post was here. 

On 8/12/2023 at 11:12 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Ive got, "The Complete Guide to Washington Quarters," written by John Feigenbaum but, it never mentions anything about what to look for in that year like a few other coin books do. It just list varities and things like that. Its still a very informative and helpful guide. Im not knocking it or anything.  I was wondering if someone on here had any knowledge about it or knew where I could find that info elsewhere. I got a Franklin Half book that tells how hard it is to find toned coins and other info like that and the reasons why. Its very informative and helpful. But so far I cant find anything like that for Washington quarters and why the 1956 D is so elusive unless you settle for dark and ugly toning. 

...David Hall mentioned in Coinfacts that the '56-D was bit more difficult to find in gem bu than other qrts from the '50s but that gem white n toned examples were available by searching...more or less same as ur observations....

I've also had the experience where I was trying to obtain an example of a relatively common coin and had an unexpectedly hard time finding one.  Years ago, I wanted a decent circulated 1902-S Barber dime. For some time, the only ones I could find even at larger coin shows were either below Good, severely impaired, or Gem Uncirculated.  After several years, in 1991 as it turns out, I was able to find a decent VG, which I still have. After I found that one, I started seeing a number of others that would have been suitable but didn't need one anymore. 

Lately, I've been trying to find a decent certified AU or lower end uncirculated 1853-55 arrows Seated dime for my registry type sets. I have an 1853 that would probably grade XF 45 or so but don't think it is worth submitting, and I have yet to find a certified one that I like for a reasonable price. I'm sure that with patience one will turn up. I suggest that if you just keep looking, you will find a suitable 1956-D quarter as well.

My guess is that the coins you have been seeing came from mint sets, those sets were issued in cardboard holders that over time have imparted toning to the coins, often the black splotchy type of tone you describe.   This quarter is currently on GC and is what I think you have been seeing in most of your searches, I would bet this coin came from a mint set.  Just keep looking I'm sure you can find what you want, just might be a lengthy search.

image.png.906290d87a8664fffb3e075446fb4681.png

On 8/13/2023 at 11:49 AM, Coinbuf said:

My guess is that the coins you have been seeing came from mint sets, those sets were issued in cardboard holders that over time have imparted toning to the coins, often the black splotchy type of tone you describe.   This quarter is currently on GC and is what I think you have been seeing in most of your searches, I would bet this coin came from a mint set.  Just keep looking I'm sure you can find what you want, just might be a lengthy search.

image.png.906290d87a8664fffb3e075446fb4681.png

Thats exactly what Ive been seeing. Almost all the 56D quarters Ive seen so far have been simular. That makes sense why they been hard to find and when I do find one its circulated or low quality. Maybe Ill eventually find one.