• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American gold eagle and buffalo grading tier ?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I'm not a coin collecting newbie, but was hoping to get an answer this weekend instead of calling NGC on Monday. Does anyone one know if American gold eagles and buffalos can be submitted under the modern tier ? Since they're gold; don'y know if this precludes them from this tier.

Thanks

Hello. As far as I am aware, if they are gold, they must be submitted under the gold tier regardless of date. I do not think you can submit them under the modern tier. Maybe someone can positively confirm this here in the forum, but a quick call to NGC will give you a solid answer.

On 8/15/2023 at 4:30 AM, emabigpiglet said:

Hi, American Gold Eagles and Buffalos minted after 1954 can be submitted under the Modern tier of NGC grading, except for Proof Eagles which must be submitted under the Proof tier. This saves on grading fees and gets coins graded more quickly...

I have every one issued from 1954 until 1985. So do you. So does everyone. There's a "Proof tier"? Wait. No, there's not. No such thing.

The "Modern" tier includes all U.S. or world coins struck 1965 to present and with a market value of no more than $3,000, except for patterns and die trials. See NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com). There is no exclusion for gold coins. Therefore, you should be able to submit gold American Eagle (first issued in 1986) and American Buffalo (first issued in 2006) bullion coins under the "Modern" tier, except for the very few that are worth well over $3,000, such as the 2020-W proof with privy mark $50.

I don't know what @emabigpiglet is talking about. The date 1954 has nothing to do with any NGC grading tier, nor is there a tier dedicated to proof coins.

On 8/15/2023 at 5:30 AM, emabigpiglet said:

American Gold Eagles and Buffalos minted after 1954 can be submitted under the Modern tier of NGC grading

Did you mean after 1964 (i.e. 1965 to present as noted by Sandon)?