• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small or Large Date

8 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2023 at 8:07 AM, J P M said:

It is hard to tell with the photo on a angle cant see the 9 and 6  very good but it looks like a small date.

My apologies, couldn't get the glare out. Maybe this one will be better? I was leaning towards small date but just wanted to verify. 

20230811_081403.jpg

Try to crop your photos so that the photo is mostly of the coin, not the surface surrounding it. The photo should also be sharper.

Your 1960 Lincoln cent appears to be a large date. Here is a photo of a small date:

1960smalldatecentobv..thumb.jpg.bf985d11fc30ca8e81b0c7a061e44c07.jpg

Notice particularly the size and shape of the "6", which is shorter and doesn't extend as far to the right as on the large date.

For comparison, here is a photo of a large date (proof):

1960LDproofcentobv..thumb.jpg.78e68dc6b323543798e8a97af77b1e2a.jpg

The height of the tail on the 6 tells me it is a large date. I agree with the others that better cropped photos would be valuable here as I had to use my cell to take a pic of your pic and enlarge it on my phone which is not always the best for assessing a coin's features.