• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1901-O Morgan Dollar Mistrike?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2023 at 5:06 AM, Traghan said:

This is a lightly struck coin & the date & mint mark are visible, but looks like a mint error. Any info? Unique to me. Appreciate any help. Thank you guys.

For maximum coverage you'll need to post this question in the newbie coin collecting questions section of this site. You will also need to post clear, cropped photos of the obverse and reverse of the coin in question.

I’ve tried everything to upload the photos but it won’t upload. I’ll try again later. Help me figure what I’m doing wrong I’m well below the max threshold for posting 

13291F22-0394-4E02-8E2C-03CD00A6DA67.jpeg

237E68E1-19C1-4492-B62C-BFEFC8546483.jpeg

1625A7C5-1BA0-47C7-8A2D-E706B49F26B8.jpeg

First of all, this 1901-O Morgan dollar isn't a weak strike.  It's a well-circulated coin that is worn down to Very Fine or so grade.

The strange markings on the reverse that have all but obliterated the words "ONE DOLLAR" do not appear to be a mint error but are likely the result of someone's crude attempt to convert the coin into a keepsake, which collectors usually call a "love token". The giving of engraved or otherwise altered coins as "love tokens" was a fad during the mid to late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Love tokens were most frequently created out of smaller coins such as Liberty Seated dimes and gold dollars but are known on coins of all denominations, including silver dollars. They are usually much better executed than this one, but I've seen crude ones like this as well. Perhaps the coin was created by or for a person whose name began with "L", explaining why that one letter was left intact.  The wear on the coin may be due to the coin being carried as a pocket piece.

I've also had sporadic problems uploading photos to these forums, which may be due to maintenance or other technical issues. Sometimes you just have to be patient. For future reference, you could have inserted the photos or additional language into your original post by clicking on the three dots at the upper right corner of the post and selecting the "Edit" option.