• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's wrong with this?

11 posts in this topic

[Original content restored 8/10/23, 9:08 PM]:

The weakness at the tips of some of the feathers and the diamond design on the ribbon suggest that the coin is not a proof strike.  The pinkish color suggests that the coin may have been "cleaned".  I would need to see the coin in-hand to get a better idea as to both of these issues.

Edited by Sandon
Author thought I got the answer(s) too quickly.

Is it not a proof?  Im not very knowledgeable on these. Ive not looked at enough to make calls but if I didnt see the label I would have thought it was a circulation strike. I am still a newbie though. 

What makes you think there is something wrong with this?

If there is something wrong, resubmit it for reconsideration or cross-grading.

On 8/10/2023 at 9:41 PM, Sandon said:

@Hoghead515--I have restored the deleted content.

It is interesting, and it is instructive. One has to look carefully at all coins, including certified ones.  What is printed on that little paper tag may not be correct.  In this case a proof is, of course, more valuable than a circulation issue, and one wouldn't want to buy this coin priced as a proof.  

I have an 1867 Liberty Seated dime PCGS graded PR 62, but it is clearly an example of the F-102 (Greer 103) die variety, which is considered by both Fortin and Greer only to exist as a circulation strike. In this case, the circulation strike is priced much higher than the proof. Having the coin reexamined and its status corrected is something that I'll hopefully get around to.

Thank you. I cant believe I got it right on my first guess. If I hadnt seen it in the holder I would have thought it was a circulation strike.That was my first guess was it was labeled wrong.  It didnt have that proof appearance to it. I been curious the past couple days and  I wasnt sure I was correct or not. Thanks for confirming it. This was a educational thread for me and probably newer collectors like me. This is my 4th year of collecting and reading books in the hobby and Im still totally lost on alot of things. Im learning more every day though. 

On 8/10/2023 at 10:36 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you. I cant believe I got it right on my first guess. If I hadnt seen it in the holder I would have thought it was a circulation strike.That was my first guess was it was labeled wrong.  It didnt have that proof appearance to it. I been curious the past couple days and  I wasnt sure I was correct or not. Thanks for confirming it. This was a educational thread for me and probably newer collectors like me. This is my 4th year of collecting and reading books in the hobby and Im still totally lost on alot of things. Im learning more every day though. 

Hoghead515 is piling up the correct answers ! Great work!