• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Austria Coin
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I know the old saying is,  ¨Read the book and then buy the coin,¨ but, I didnt follow that advice. I took a wild hair and bought a world coin I currently know nothing about. I really liked the design and it led to this purchase. Is there anyone on the forum that collects these? I dont know if it was a wise decision or not. Has anyone ever seen a coin you knew nothing about and bought it anyways? I been wanting to add more diversity to my collection. More world coins. Its got a few dark spots but I would probably have also if I were that old.  It actually looks a whole lot better in hand. Im happy with it. Does anyone know what language that is? Id love to decipher it and read what it says. Compress_20230807_192209_9693.thumb.jpg.fa2631e4f52cfb5ded182fe90dcbce26.jpgCompress_20230807_192155_5598.thumb.jpg.ffde7728d021cc32e78281c3b5da03de.jpg

Compress_20230807_192229_9252.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

On 8/7/2023 at 7:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I know the old saying is,  ¨Read the book and then buy the coin,¨ but, I didnt follow that advice. I took a wild hair and bought a world coin I currently know nothing about. I really liked the design and it led to this purchase. Is there anyone on the forum that collects these? I dont know if it was a wise decision or not. Has anyone ever seen a coin you knew nothing about and bought it anyways? I been wanting to add more diversity to my collection. More world coins. Its got a few dark spots but I would probably have also if I were that old.  It actually looks a whole lot better in hand. Im happy with it. Does anyone know what language that is? Id love to decipher it and read what it says. Compress_20230807_192209_9693.thumb.jpg.fa2631e4f52cfb5ded182fe90dcbce26.jpgCompress_20230807_192155_5598.thumb.jpg.ffde7728d021cc32e78281c3b5da03de.jpg

Compress_20230807_192229_9252.jpg

...fess up, u bought it cause u thought it was self portrait of urself....

On 8/7/2023 at 6:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

. Has anyone ever seen a coin you knew nothing about and bought it anyways?

Absolutely. More than once, I have searched through a world coin junk box and bought a handful of coins just because I liked the way they looked. I actually have a bid in for a set of coins on Ebay that I know very little about, and I am looking at a few more. I just like the designs, and the prices are well within my budget. 

The language on your coin is Latin. I could give you all the info, but I know you are the type who likes to research stuff for yourself, so I will give you a link to get you headed in the right direction.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38901.html

On 8/7/2023 at 10:47 PM, Just Bob said:

Absolutely. More than once, I have searched through a world coin junk box and bought a handful of coins just because I liked the way they looked. I actually have a bid in for a set of coins on Ebay that I know very little about, and I am looking at a few more. I just like the designs, and the prices are well within my budget. 

The language on your coin is Latin. I could give you all the info, but I know you are the type who likes to research stuff for yourself, so I will give you a link to get you headed in the right direction.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces38901.html

That helps a whole lot. Thank you for the info. That pointed me in the right direction. Now Im going to have to do some research on Leopold 1 of Habsburg. 

Theres some interesting info about Leopold 1 if anyone likes history. I love it myself. I just took a quick look on google and read a short amount on him. Going to read more tomorrow after work. Very cool to buy that coin and own a little piece of history from his empire and era. 

On 8/7/2023 at 9:43 PM, zadok said:

...fess up, u bought it cause u thought it was self portrait of urself....

He is a handsome fella. lol Just kidding. His pictures on google looks alot like that Weird Al fella from back in the 90s. 

First - @Hoghead515, I can assure you that you do not want to be associated with the Hapsburgs.  Leopold was one of the greatest rulers and a lover of culture and music.... however, the Hapsburgs are best known for their genetically mutated jaws (call the "Hapsburg Jaw") that resulted from multi-generational incest.  Even Leopold himself married his niece with the logic that she was "royal blood".  This familial trend to marry their own led to the ghoulish results that you will see in your research.

So... this is a very interesting coin with lots of interesting narratives (just be thankful that you were not involved). xD