• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any info on 1884 CC silver dollar
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi y'all. I found an 1884 CC silver dollar in its original 'Uncirculated' box and packaging with the certificate. PCGS and eBay have some high prices for them but it's hard to believe that's what they sell for... it seems like it's in good condition to me but coin grading is tedious so I'll leave it to your opinions. I can take pictures on my divinci machine if you need better pictures

IMG_6097.jpeg

IMG_6102.jpeg

IMG_6098.jpeg

IMG_6099.jpeg

IMG_6100.jpeg

Your coin was part of the GSA horde which was distributed in the 70's and early 80's, many collectors like these Morgan dollars in these holders and NGC will grade the coin and leave it in that GSA holder.   Your coin looks nice but I would say grades MS63 at best due to the numerous bag marks especially evident on the obv.   Many of the GSA coins came very baggy due to the extended time that these coins were stored, moved, stored (rinse and repeat) thru the years.   I haven't followed the pricing on GSA Morgans that much recently, but the 84-CC is one of the more common dates that can be found in one of these holders, and last I saw MS63 graded coins were selling for around $350ish for graded examples.   Prices run in a tight range for this date in MS grades up to MS65, the prices jump substantially for MS66 or higher examples.

Hello! Your Morgan seems to be a legitimate specimen and not a counterfeit. That said, NGC does grade these in the OGP without removing them. They are graded on the same basis as all Morgan dollars. Keep in mind, the GSA coins were not hand selected to be the best specimens. Yours, while uncirculated, I would assign a grade of MS 62 due to all of the bag marks and chatter on the cheek, neck, and in the surrounding fields. The obverse will be the overriding factor in the grade as the reverse looks fairly clear from bag marks which happens alot on the Morgans.

You do see big prices paid for these coins, and right now even moreso with inflation also hitting the coin market. Also there has been a GSA holder craze which still seems to be going on to some degree. This coin shows $275 in the price guide in MS 62, but I would expect with the continued demand for GSA holdered CC's it would fetch around $350 if sold privately in an eBay auction. Also keep in mind that a dealer with his Greysheet would most likely only offer you $225-250 for it.

I have roughly 110 Morgans and I have one of this year in MS 63 which is why I would think yours would grade out at MS 62. Others can give their opinion as well and see if there is a general consensus in this forum as to the grade of yours.

The date/mint are common in uncirculated condition due to the GSA sales. Your coin is one of those with a lot of scraps and marks from being jostled around in original bags (1,000 coins in a bag). The scrapes and deep gouge on Liberty's face limit it to MS-60 or 61, in my opinion. As for what to expect to receive in selling it -- possibly $150. Demand for this kind of low-end Carson dollar is limited. As Sandon noted, he obtained a nicer coin for a little over $200 at auction.

I agree with RWB that the heavy amount of marks on Liberty's face and neck, and the fields to the left of this as well as other areas, severely limits it's grade.  From looking at ones on CoinFacts with similar marks it would likely grade MS60 or MS61 with a value around $300.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1884-cc-1/images/7152

On 8/6/2023 at 8:12 PM, meaggiimoo said:

I found an 1884 CC silver dollar in its original 'Uncirculated' box and packaging with the certificate. PCGS and eBay have some high prices for them but it's hard to believe that's what they sell for... 

Make sure you use COMPLETED or SOLD auction data to get accurate pricing on Ebay.  People there have asking prices 50-100% over FMV, sometimes MORE !! :o

Better to check recent auctions on Heritage Auctions and/or Great Collections.  I'm sure each sold a few 1884's in MS-62'ish condition in the last few weeks.

If FMV is about $300 to buy the coin, figure selling price is $250 or so.

Any interest in KEEPING the coin and adding to it ?

On 8/7/2023 at 2:48 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Better to check recent auctions on Heritage Auctions and/or Great Collections.

Great collections only auctions certified coins, and there weren't any recent uncertified ones on HA from a quick search I did.  When you search ebay look at the uncertified 1884-CC GSA Morgans, which go for less than the TPG certified ones.  From ebay the uncertified ones are going for around $300, which is what I went with.