• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight of a NGC slabbed Morgan or peace dollar?
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Although U.S. silver dollars issued from 1840 to 1935, including the Seated, Morgan and Peace dollar series, have a statutorily prescribed weight (when uncirculated) of 26.73 grams with a tolerance of 0.097 gram plus or minus, NGC has not, to my knowledge, specified an exact or even an approximate weight for its holders of any era from its inception in 1987 until now. Even individual holders from the same lot likely vary in weight depending on many factors arising during their manufacture and sealing. You could post this question on the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum to see if NGC has another answer, but I highly doubt it. 

If I may ask, why do you want to know what the coin and holder should weigh together?

39.70g, at least that's what I get when I way an empty NGC slab. This is for the current slabs, older ones are probably different.

EDIT TO ADD: That includes the outer casing, core and paper insert. The core was sized for a small coin, much smaller than a Morgan, so a slab once containing a Morgan would weigh less presumably.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 8/5/2023 at 5:55 PM, Collector_2023 said:

I want to verify the authenticity of a Morgan dollar.

Have you checked the coin on NGC Certificate Verification? Click NGC Cert Lookup | Verify NGC Certification | NGC (ngccoin.com) or look at the menu on the "Resources" tab at the top right of the NGC home page. This will verify that the coin's serial number and grade have been awarded to a coin of the same denomination, date, and mint and, if the coin has been certified since approximately 2008, will include photographs of both sides of the holder, including the encapsulated coin.  

There have been instances of counterfeit or overgraded coins placed in fake NGC holders with matching serial numbers and grades, but these would be unlikely to match the photos exactly.

This is a trick question.* If the Morgan and Peace dollars weigh 26.73 grams, respectively, why not place the holdered coin onto an appropriate scale and subtract the difference from the total.  A purist will insist the coins are weighed in Troy ounces, being  precious metals, but I seriously doubt any TPGS will authenticate and certify a coin without weighing it first. The only acceptable alternative to consulting an experienced "crack-out" artist would be to present your question to the ready, able and willing personnel who may be consulted on the "Ask NGC/NCS" thread.

* Robert Ripley ("Believe It Or Not") demonstrated this by stating a pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold. The former weighs 16 avoirdupois ounces whereas the latter, a precious metal, weighs 12 troy ounces.

Presumably, all cases are produced via injection mold? Cores? If that's the case, all will be produced within a tight tollerance, repeatable, more so than a working die? Mixes would also be repeatable, with "recipes". Questions and comments based on my experience in manufacturing, I don't know how the slabs are produced.

Mindful the Original Poster (OP) a newly-minted member, has accepted the answers provided to him by some very knowledgeable and experienced hobbyists on this Forum, I should like to emphasize that when you submit a coin to a Third-Party Grading Service (TPGS) such as NGC, the fee you pay covers authentication, grading, certification and encapsulation. Everything is documented and comes with a written guarantee (as long as your numismatic treasures are stored properly) and some have adopted holograms and Near-Field Technology to insure additional security and give you peace of mind.

The top TPGS should not be confused with the plethora of private concerns that issue their own display holders along with superfluous Certificates of Authencity boasting low numbers on a limited mintage run. There are coins which collectors refer to as Original Government Packaging (OGP) issued by the U.S. Mint usually consisting of Uncirculated or Proof sets, the earliest ones packaged in filmy plastic and presented in flat cardboard boxes.  It is your prerogative as to whether you wish to have them formally graded and encapsulated. Rest assured that when you choose to have your coins certified by NGC, you can proceed with confidence as all your concerns will be addressed generally and by the many members who have specialized in the specific coins you collect.  Again, welcome!

On 8/5/2023 at 9:42 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I don't know how the slabs are produced.

I’m willing to bet the bank they are mold injected as well every slab made is probably Acrylic injected into a mold with high pressure and the results hold a tight tolerance like you said …