• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Three Cent Nickels
2 2

55 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2023 at 12:42 PM, RWB said:

Three cent CuNi coins proved to be more popular than 3-cent silver, and the public used them as replacements, not temporary substitutes. A 5-cent CuNi received the same reception. This led to elimination of half dimes and 3-cent silver in the Act of 1873.

Although with the nickel costing 10 cents to produce and the dime costing 4 cents to produce, an argument can be made to reinstate the half dime as a copper nickel clad coin today as it would reduce the loss in making nickels and actually generate seigniorage. 

Edited by olympicsos

On 8/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, RWB said:

Further, Joseph Wharton felt that base metal convenience in size would outweigh the inconvenience of tiny silver coins for small denominations.

Of course, the fact that Joseph Wharton owned the largest then-known nickel mine, in far eastern Lancaster County, PA, near the town now known as Gap, PLUS the only plant capable of creating “malleable nickel”, in Camden, NJ, was merely a coincidence. Uh huh.

On 8/19/2023 at 3:01 PM, Sandon said:

....  Ron Guth has written for PCGS Coinfacts, "beware of Proofs masquerading as Mint State examples.... and the Proofs are worth much less than the Mint State versions."

I defy anyone to state objective criteria to distinguish between pieces struck as proofs and as circulation strikes,....

I recommend buying this date only as a proof.

18843cnProofobv..thumb.JPG.3405721fd9fc49b57818c46538c13294.JPG

18843cnProofrev..thumb.JPG.c7ec86ed17dc9df5d12fa46f41855a29.JPG

Photos courtesy of Stacks Bowers Galleries.  

I guess I am not reading this right, but...  If the Proofs are worth MUCH LESS than the Mint States, and it is difficult  to tell them apart in the absence of objective criteria, why would you recommend buying this date as a Proof?

On 8/27/2023 at 9:37 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I guess I am not reading this right, but...  If the Proofs are worth MUCH LESS than the Mint States, and it is difficult  to tell them apart in the absence of objective criteria, why would you recommend buying this date as a Proof?

Do you REALLY want to open the Pandora's box of why coin people do what they do? Seems like the ultimate rat hole to me.

The three coin set RWB showed above is cool. I could have grown into an American Maundy set, except instead of the. Head of State giving them to the poor, Presidents would be giving them only to their extended family members. After all, it's what we have become now.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/27/2023 at 10:37 AM, Henri Charriere said:

If the Proofs are worth MUCH LESS than the Mint States, and it is difficult to tell them apart in the absence of objective criteria, why would you recommend buying this date as a Proof?

I have two reasons:

1.  As the grading services have no stated criteria for telling 1883, 84, and 85 three cent nickels struck for circulation from those struck as proof and admit that they are "difficult" to tell apart, the coin you buy in a grading service holder that purports it to be a circulation strike may in fact have been struck as a proof.  Why pay a much higher price for it than for a coin of the same date in an equivalent grade in a holder that designates it as a proof? In the unlikely event that anyone discovers a reliable (or at least consistent and generally accepted) method to tell them apart, you may discover that your "circulation strike" would now be classified as a less valuable proof. 

2.  Although "proof" is defined as a method of manufacture rather than a grade, coins that were struck as or appear to be proofs tend to be superior in strike and overall appearance than those struck for or appearing to have been struck for circulation. Nineteenth century collectors apparently considered proofs to be the same issue as circulation strikes of the same date and denomination and tended to only collect proofs as the best examples of those issues. This view apparently persisted well into the twentieth century. The Louis E. Eliasberg, Sr. collection was considered to be a "complete" collection of U.S. coins by date and mint even though many of the Philadelphia mint issues were represented only by proofs. Today's collectors consider proof and circulation strike coins to be different issues, but where it may not be possible to tell them apart, wouldn't you rather have a beautiful, fully struck gem quality example with a proof designation than a lower grade, less attractive example for a much higher price just because the grading service holder designates it as a circulation issue?

I'll pick up this topic with a discussion of the 1885 three cent nickels and then turn to an examination of dates with larger circulation strike mintages.

On 8/27/2023 at 12:26 PM, RWB said:

.... Simply put, TPG should tell collectors how and why a decision was made.

I don't know if an explanation would be possible as they entail setting forth reasons which require time, and time is money.  The sheer volume of submissions received and processed may make that impractical.  It may very well come down to providing the requested information for an additional fee, or incorporating the feature when submission fees are raised, which seems inevitable.

This is not referring to routine matters, but to their "Specimen" and related items such as mentioned for 3-cent CuNi proofs.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:26 AM, RWB said:

TPG should tell collectors how and why a decision was made.

You have to take the Summer Seminar course. We discussed exactly that for a week. Yes, for "Specimen" strikes specifically. They stressed that NGC and PCGS are in SERIOUS disagreement on what constitutes a Specimen. PCGS is much "looser" in designating Specimens.

Edited by VKurtB